Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow capacity - Event Date: 23 Mar 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tow capacity
    Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 9:56pm
Want to get RP178 and wondered if anyone has towed with newer grand caravan?  New to this. Thank you
Nanny Rocks
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 10:03pm
Welcome to the group!  We tow our 179 with our 2013 Grand Caravan with the Pentastar 3.6 engine. We have towed up and down the coast with out any problems, gets pretty good gas mileage.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Nanny Rocks View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 12:36am
Thank you.  Do you travel with water as I heard it can weigh a lot.. As you can see we are newbies.
Nanny Rocks
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 8:57am
We usually use KOA campground on our trips, an using Flying J/Pilot truck stops in between, so we usually carry 5 gallons while traveling. it doesn't seem to adversely effect our driving or mileage.The only true enemy of towing his WIND. We usually average 15.5-16.5 once out of Vermont. If we hit a strong head wind, it will drop to 12.5.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 1:08pm
If you anticipate dry camping (no hookups), then you have no choice but to travel with water. Best to start is full water and empty black and gray water tanks if that is the case.

If you are anticipating going directly to a site with hookups, you can get by with minimal water in the tank (enough to operate the toilet if the sudden need arises while you are on the road and no rest area is nearby).
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Nanny Rocks

Want to get RP178 and wondered if anyone has towed with newer grand caravan?  New to this. Thank you

Welcome to the group! Good luck in purchasing your Pod. Leo B would not tell you wrong. Check to see if you have the same engine as he.

We get some lively debates going in regards to tow vehicles. Don't tell anyone but, I've been known to "fan the flames/stoke the fire" in a debate or two.
JohnBG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Nanny Rocks

Thank you.  Do you travel with water as I heard it can weigh a lot.. As you can see we are newbies.

8.34 pounds per gallon,  If you fill the fresh tank with 30 gallons, that's 250 lbs.

We camp primarily at places with water and electric hookups, so we only carry a few gallons of fresh water for hand washing and toilet flushing while traveling.

Always keep a few gallons in the black tank so that things don't solidify in there. Confused
2010 R-Pod RP-171
2010 Honda Ridgeline TV
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 5:39pm
Since we normally dry camp we always have a full tank when we leave, and as JohnBG stated above, add 250 lbs. to your towing weight.  30 gallons can last quite a long time depending on how miserly you are with it.  When dry camping, you tend to be miserly.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Nanny Rocks View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 6:11pm
Thank you all.  Hubby and I just want to travel and sightsee not just head to a camp so wondered about having needed water to do that.  Our van manual says 3500 lbs. does that mean weight of van loaded or does it included weight of people etc in van?  Looking forward to getting van just want to make sure we understand what it will take.  So appreciate your advice.
Nanny Rocks
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 7:27pm
Regarding traveling with the fresh water tank full or not, keep in mind that a full tank not only adds weight, but depending on where the tank is located, could adversely affect tongue weight, and therefore handling.  On my 177, the freshwater tank is cleverly located behind the axle, meaning that filling it takes weight off the tongue.  The lighter the tongue, the more sway you'll experience.  I'm not sure about 178s, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have the same tank layout as the 177.

If you are going to dry camp, and the campground is a ways away from home, I'd recommend filling the tank somewhere close to the campground, if possible.  If there's a rest stop or city/county park not too far from the campground, and it has a threaded faucet that you can access, you can possibly fill up your Pod with your white hose.  Another option is to use a jerry can to fill, but that takes several trips and a lot of effort.
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>