R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSway Bar Vs Weight Distribution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sway Bar Vs Weight Distribution
    Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 11:59am
Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between a sway Bar hitch and a weight distribution hitch?

What do I need to tow my R Pod 180 with a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 3.2L V6 4WD SUV? (Yes it can two 4500 lbs. and tongue weight 450 lbs.)

My dealer states I don't need anything...
Loree and Rod
Misha - Black Lab (child)
2016 R Pod 180 with R Dome - Serendipity Pod
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 12:10pm
You may or may not "need anything". A lot of towing comfort is subjective.

It's not a "vs" thing. They do two different things. If your truck squats in the rear when hooked up, you need a WDH. If you have sway.. well.. you need anti sway. Some WDH's include anti-sway.

We "don't need" a WDH.. but we run one because the ride is much improved. We have never suffered sway, but I am careful about loading. And our new eX has built in sway control.
JohnBG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 1:01pm
Wow, that's unusual.  Usually, a dealer will try to sell you everything under the sun... Tongue

Take it for a drive or a few short trips and decide what you want or need.

I had a lot of people telling me I needed a WDH or a sway bar to tow my 171 with my Honda Ridgeline.  So far, I have neither.  There was one really windy day where the sway bar might have come in handy.  I camp close by maybe most 200 miles away so I can live without a WDH as my bumper don't sag much when the trailer is connected.  

But everyone's setup and tastes are different.  Some folks have a WDH even though they might not really "need" one for a smoother ride on long trips.  If you live in a really windy area or camp there, a sway bar kit might be a good thing.
2010 R-Pod RP-171
2010 Honda Ridgeline TV
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Rod Pod

My dealer states I don't need anything...

Mine said I didn't need a WDH, but I was getting just a little too much squat, and even more after I went to two 6V deep cycle batteries instead of a single 12V. My dealer did recommend a sway bar, but he threw it into the deal.
P and D Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 11:28pm
How does a WDH work? Do I have to change the receiver? I have a sway bar that does help but I do notice that the back end of the TV does sag. We are new to RVing but have already done a 4300 mile trip and anticipate more long trips.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 8:29am
WDH and sway control are two separable, but often combined, functions. A weight distribution hitch (WDH) corrects for weight added to the rear of the tow vehicle behind the rear axle. It's main function is to return weight to the front axle that does all the steering for the pair. If too much weight is removed from the front axle the TV will lose steering control and seem to "float". It will also affect breaking. Therefore the WDH transfers weight from the TV rear axle back to the front axle and also the trailer axle. Secondary effects of WDH are less porpoising or bouncing when going over bumps and dips. This greatly improves ride quality and reduces driver fatigue.

Sway control is just that; control of trailer sway. Depending on trailer loading, speed, wind conditions, and 18 wheeler traffic the trailer may walk from side to side or sway. Sway control devices use some sort of friction based apparatus to damp this sway. Sway is difficult to anticipate and even more difficult to stop if it gets started.

Although the two functions are separate, they are often combined in good hitches. E2, Equalizer, Reese, and Anderson are some of the best brands. They all use the standard 2" receiver and come with all the necessary extras. Depending on your tow vehicle you may or may not "need" sway and/or WDH, but most folks eventually find they want both. With PODs, the general experience is anything less than a half ton PU or large SUV such as Expedition or Suburban will require WDH/Sway control.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:08am
My Tahoe is a beast, and I am still giving serious consideration to a WDH/Sway combo. In MA we have a lovely combo of terrible roads, and sudden coastal cross winds. Like CharlieM said, a day of arduous conditions with a long drive can lead to noticeable "driver fatigue".
julieboyles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:35am
Since this is new to me, do owners here recommend either (or both) for a 2008 Ford F150 towing a 178? There'll be only me and not much added weight/stuff in the trailer at this early point in my trailing (if I happen to go more full-time, perhaps).
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by julieboyles

Since this is new to me, do owners here recommend either (or both) for a 2008 Ford F150 towing a 178? There'll be only me and not much added weight/stuff in the trailer at this early point in my trailing (if I happen to go more full-time, perhaps).

With the F150 you won't "need" the WDH, but experience says you'll want one. You can try without it for a while and decide after a few trips. The WDH will definitely improve you towing experience. With the WDH you should also get integrated sway control since it is essentially free. My personal preference from experience is the Fastway E2, but the Anderson is very popular for trucks like the 150.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 1:36pm
Can you just pull the pin out of the E2 to disconnect while the Pod is parked at a site?

EDIT: In the meantime I saw a video on how to detach, and got the WAF. It will be here in two days...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>