R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack water flush valve 'Out of Warranty'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black water flush valve 'Out of Warranty'
    Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 4:53pm
Several months ago, and a little over a year after I bought our 171, I mentioned to this forum that I had found that my black water flush valve acted as if it were obstructed. This appears to be the result of a fairly common factory error - Some trainee installing it pointed the wrong way. Since it was done at the factory and the repair looks more formidable than I am comfortable doping, I approached Forest River to see if they would arrange the repair. In the spirit of "Ha, ha, sucker. You lose!" they responded that it was after the 1 year warranty period. 

I disagree. From the internet - 

" The old-time warning caveat emptor (buyer beware) no longer applies because the seller nowadays is held to a higher standard of disclosure and has responsibilities for defects which a buyer cannot see from a casual inspection." 

This is why car manufacturers make so many recalls.

I am very happy with our R-Pod and I am sure that this is only the average response of travel trailer manufacturers. I am just disappointed that Forest River is only 'average'.

If you have repaired this black water flush valve defect, I sure would appreciate any pointers to help make my repair attempt go smoother.
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 5:40pm
I had to do this on our 2014 177. In my case, I just unscrewed the four screws that attached the bathroom sink. The valve is right behind the sink. Unthread it and reverse it. Then reinstall the sink. Easy peasy EXCEPT the sticky stuff that they put around the sink. It's a real mess to clean up. I did recaulk around the sink and it looks factory new and works like a charm.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 8:00pm
You disagree that the warranty period had expired?

You disagree that it is/was a warranty problem?

I have no clue what the internet quote is about or where it is from.. But if applying to this exact issue, near as I can tell, it was more then year after you bought it that you raised the issue with FR.. That would be pretty hard to define as "after casual inspection"..

funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 1:46pm
Hi Happy Tripping

I agree with GLB CAMPER on reversing the one way valve. Just take your time, very easy. After I reversed the valve on our 179 I had to remove the sprayer off the black tank and clean it. When the valve was installed wrong the flow would come up the line the wrong way and it plugged the sprayer.  I also sent water through the newly installed valve before reinstalling the sprayer.  You want to make sure when you reinstall the one way valve you keep it in the upright position. Good Luck and enjoySmile
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 2:50pm
Check yo see if your home state has a statute called " warranty of mechantability " it basically says that a product sold has to basically work like it is supposed to. I have seen several Judges enforce this in Vermont, even after the warranty date has expired.
I guarantee Forrest River has heard it before.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 3:06pm
Since he has a 177, it's very possible he has an access panel on the back wall of the shower, in the "bedroom".. we do. Calling lawyers and lawsuits on something that is out of warranty and probably a 5 minutes with a screw driver fix seems excessive to me. And expensive. It isn't near as involved as some of the regular maintenance items that are going to have to be done on the Pod..
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 4:39pm
 Wish I could see a picture.....
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 12:08pm
Follow up Report

MANY thanks to GLBCamper and funks.

I have a Rule #1 - "Every home (or trailer) improvement, no matter how simple, takes 3X as long and is 2X as expensive as initially thought".

Ok, in a 171 the valve's behind a panel in the wall next to the bed. Removing this requires a modified 'Robertson' screw driver (ka-ching), I see a black plastic thingy, I am confident that this is the valve, but now I have to get access by cutting the hole bigger (time). I ASSUME that it just unscrews at each end, but can't see the other end and have no idea whether or not I need special sealing glue (more time for internet search, trial and error, and possibly more ka-ching).

If anyone can help me with their experience on this - THANK YOU.

One nice thing, when this is all over, it looks like there's enough space to make a nice little 'nook' for glasses, etc, but that is for another episode involving Rule #1.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 12:22pm
You should not need to cut the hole larger, it's at the high point of 2 hoses, just pull it over. BTW.. #2 square drive screws have been in the USA for about 30 years now.. you really should have a driver that fits them by now. You won't need any glue. Just pull it over to the opening, unscrew, reverse, push back.
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 3:42pm
In the spirit of 'The Perils of Pauline', (and for the benefit of other 171 users) I wish to submit a Progress Report.

Ok, the valve is constructed as a simple right angle turn, direction of flow clearly indicated as coming from the bottom right and exiting to the top left, and "This Side UP" on the top surface. Ok so far.

But, the water inflow to the valve comes from a hose that comes up vertically and THEN has a plastic right angle turn with screw threads on the end which connects to the valve's inflow tract. In order to keep 'This Side Up', I will have to remove this right angle turn and install a straight-thru plastic threaded connection.

Unfortunately, I have never done this. However, I'm sure, with a little more time and money (See Rule #1) I can do all this.

However, as an alternative, I have simply connected the valve using the factory-installed hose fittings so that the inflow is now from the right, the surface marked 'This Side Up' is facing to the left, and the flow exit is now 'down'.

Have I just Destroyed Something?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>