R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUsing fan on battery power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using fan on battery power
    Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 3:39pm
I don't know why I didn't think of this before (other than the crazy idea that was lodged in my head that I needed more wattage) but I think I'll just wire some 12v plugs, which I was going to do anyway, and just use my Goalzero Yeti 400 for the laptops, etc.
I can charge it from the 12v plugs if and when it runs down.

Actually, I'm off track again, aren't I? I bet the Yeti 400 would take too much out of the two GC2s to charge it all the way up, wouldn't it? Guess I need to be saving for solar panels.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by howmanyds

Oh! 😳
I think I got bad advice last summer when I picked this thing up for my van. Ended up not installing it. Clearly, didn't do enough research. What would be an acceptable amount of power in an inverter?

Not necessarily.. if you were planning to use it with the engine running, and the alternator of the van providing the 12v, that's fine up to a point. I have used a 2000watt that way to run a skilsaw etc.

But to draw straight from a battery bank.. not good, not good at all.

A 75watt will run your tv. I personally wouldn't do more than a 250watt. We own a 200 watt Pure Sine. Have used it once or twice. We added 12v outlets long ago, and recently updated them. Happy with that. If it's a/c weather, we camp with hookups. Both our laptops use the same Dell charger, so we bought a 12v dc/dc converter to charge them as needed. But now we both have pretty decent smart phones, and honestly have not taken the laptops with us in the last year..
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 3:54pm

I don't know why I didn't think of this before (other than the crazy idea that was lodged in my head that I needed more wattage) but I think I'll just wire some 12v plugs, which I was going to do anyway, and just use my Goalzero Yeti 400 for the laptops, etc.
I can charge it from the 12v plugs if and when it runs down.

Actually, I'm off track again, aren't I? I bet the Yeti 400 would take too much out of the two GC2s to charge it all the way up, wouldn't it? Guess I need to be saving for solar panels.

Your Pod batteries won't charge the the Goal Zero anyways. You can't charge 12v with 12v. Your tow vehicle can charge it, when running, because it will output 13.8 to 14.4 volts.
howmanyds View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 1:43am
Back to an earlier discussion point... The battery shutoff switch.
Should I be occasionally NOT shutting off the batteries to allow them to drain all the way while the pod is parked?
Or is it fine with deep cycle GC2s to never quite use all the juice?
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 7:30am

Back to an earlier discussion point... The battery shutoff switch.
Should I be occasionally NOT shutting off the batteries to allow them to drain all the way while the pod is parked?
Or is it fine with deep cycle GC2s to never quite use all the juice?

Unlike Nicads, lead acid batteries SHOULD NOT be totally discharged. Doing so will shorten their life. Ideally they should not be discharged more than 50%. Occasional discharge to 30% SOC will have some, but not negligible, effect on life. Leaving a lead acid battery sitting in a discharged state will kill it.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 8:11am
I just bought a 500w inverter. I don't expect to use often as we don't intend on camping too often without shore power. It's intended purpose is to power coffee bean grinder in the morning, hand blender for drinks and emergency use of the television. As you mentioned, if worse comes to worse it can be clamped on the TV battery with the engine running.

And I concur about the fantastic fan. In a word it's 'fantastic'.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123