Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYellowstone National Park

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellowstone National Park
    Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 11:57am
We are in the process of planning our first big camping trip in our new R Pod and thinking Yellowstone National Park. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay? Also going to try to take in the Gran Teton National Park also.. Any suggestions welcome..

One more thing - Any suggestions on a solar panel for our 180?
Loree and Rod
Misha - Black Lab (child)
2016 R Pod 180 with R Dome - Serendipity Pod
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 2:56pm
Hello, I can help you with the solar. What is your current battery setup? Are you handy with wiring and do you understand basic electronics? What do you hope to accomplish with your solar power? 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Kokopod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 3:01pm
If you're planning to camp in Yellowstone, you may not have much of a choice of location at this point. We made reservations a month ago, and reservations were very limited even then. There are a few non-reservation sites, but you have to get there early in the day and take your chances.
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
Tetoncamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 1:28pm
We are also new RPODers (pick ours up this week) but we do live in the Tetons just outside Teton National Park.  Within TNP there are RV campgrounds at Colter Bay and Signal Mountain in the northern part of the park.  Think they tend to get busy in the summer.  One that we plan on trying out early in our RPOD adventures is the Gros Ventre amp ground.  It is a large but really nice campground with a lot of moose around.  Check out the TNP.gov website for more info.  

For Yellowstone I would again go to the YNP.gov website for info.  Both parks had record number of visitors last year and since this year is a big anniversary year expect crowds to be bigger.  Take a look at campgrounds in/around West Yellowstone or Island Park, ID.  Both locations are just outside the park but provide easy access.  Think there is only one full service campground in the park and reservations may be required to get a spot.  

Hope this helps and maybe we will see you out thereSmile
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 5:36pm
There are both private and U.S. Forest service campgrounds outside the park at every entrance.  Colter Bay in Grand Teton park is beautiful with the lake and the Tetons out front there, but for travelling into the park for day trips the south entrance has the horrific Jackson Hole traffic and traffic jams.  I would not stay there in the summer if I were going into Yellowstone.  September on I would.  The east entrance into Cody, the west entrance at the town of West Yellowstone, or the much quieter north east entrance at Cooke city Mt. all have some great places to camp just outside the park.   I live outside the east entrance but have camped at all of the areas mentioned.  Good luck deciding. 
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 6:43pm
We stayed at Gros Ventre in the Tetons last year the location is great. In the park so you can avoid Jackson Hole if you want to but close to Jackson Hole for great dining and shopping.The Jackson Hole Recreation center in downtown has fabulous showers and swimming pools (including a water slide) indoors for $4.50 a day. Great after a hard day of hiking or sightseeing. If I remember correctly no reservation so get there early.
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 10:35pm
Gros Ventre (properly pronounced "grow vont") campground is a nice big campground north of Jackson on the Gros ventre river, huge flat valley with mountains on both sides, with a big sagebrush flat out front and the Tetons about fifteen miles to the west.  Spectacular views.  Fantastic in September or mid May.  But again, later on in summer you get to deal with high volumes of traffic out of Jackson headed to Yellowstone. Jackson actually has traffic jams daily in the summer.  Like all day long.  It is a place to avoid imo.   If you are city people, I guess you can deal with it.  I am not one of those city  folks, and I thoroughly avoid anything in the Teton valley, Jackson Hole country, and the south gate of Yellowstone park in the summertime because of decades of experiences doing it.  Plus with the tour busses coming in from Salt Lake City and elsewhere it is a mess trying to drive up to the park from there.  Now you have been warned twice about it by someone who lives here.   I'm trying to help make your trip a good one.   
Rod Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 5:31pm
Thanks all for the suggestions!
Loree and Rod
Misha - Black Lab (child)
2016 R Pod 180 with R Dome - Serendipity Pod
Hi-Line View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 7:42pm
Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs are beautiful, but yes, they do get crowded. I haven't been down that way in a while although I've lived in Montana the last 45 years. There are lots of national forests in Wyoming and Montana with nice campgrounds that don't get as much visitation as the parks...still beautiful scenery, wildlife, etc. And they are dog-friendly...thinking about your Labrador child, Misha. I have a Lab too.
osage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 9:26am
we have been to yellowstone 5-6 times  and we always play it by ear so have always been able to stay in the park. If you get a chance stop at Cody they have a little shot out at the Erma Hotel every night also they use to a a rodeo every night
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>