R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQueen bed - Event Date: 20 Mar 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Queen bed
    Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 10:24am
R pod 180 queen or queen short??
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 10:38am
All of the RPODs are the same width and all of the queen beds are mounted from side to side, therefore, the bed in the 180 must be a queen short. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 11:27am
"Short Queen" is standard on all units, it refers to the length. The only variation is the width, those vary depending on floor plan and whether it is a convertible bed. I am already shopping mattresses, if I have an arthritis flare up then it will be torture to sleep on the stock "prison cell" fiber mattress.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 8:11pm
The stock mattress is spartan at best.  We threw ours out after our third camping trip and replaced it with the Eurotop Mattress from camping world.  That was in the early fall of 2011, still a great, firm, mattress today.  A very c o m f o r t a b l e  mattress, you won't be disappointed.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 8:50pm
The mattress and bed set up does take some getting used to!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Retroactive

"Short Queen" is standard on all units, it refers to the length. The only variation is the width, those vary depending on floor plan and whether it is a convertible bed. I am already shopping mattresses, if I have an arthritis flare up then it will be torture to sleep on the stock "prison cell" fiber mattress.

Strange. Our stock mattress is foam, not fiber. I did get a memory foam mattress topper though. It really makes a difference. We slept quite comfortably on our trip out west.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 9:48am
I probably have egg on my face here.  I didn't inspect the mattress closely when we purchased it two weeks back, I only sat on it and said "NOPE! This is getting replaced...". I thought it was poly fiber like the college dorm mattresses in the old days. When I get it home on Saturday I will get a topper either way for now. We are going down to the beach on April vacation for two nights, if my bashed up body can handle it maybe we will put off replacing it for a while.  

But if it is bothersome I have no problem dropping big money on a premium mattress, the Rpod will be used as a "master suite" for up to 20 weekends this season. Unexpectedly last Friday we found out that this might be the last summer that my FiL has the strength to make the trip to his beach cottage regularly, if at all, so we plan on bringing the Rpod down there every opposite weekend during the April-October months.    He likes to go down as much as possible, and the ocean gives off ~10F increase in temps compared to inland, and there are water/electrical hookups on the cottage and a full bathroom inside, so we might winterize the water/waste and get a few weekends in during the other winter months (except for Jan & Feb when the roads are more like glaciers).

I realize now I am babbling on here... I guess fate has turned this year into a test of how long the stock queen mattress will go "from new, to nope!".Ying Yang
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 11:22am
My theory is, mattress comfort is HIGHLY subjective. Since most will replace it anyways, FR puts in as cheap a one as they can, because the R-Pod IS a price point build. (I certainly don't want to pay extra $$$ for a mattress I may very well change out) We did one night in the driveway, on our factory mattress, the very next day we had one on order from CW. Very happy with the replacement.

Now, I will tell you the factory mattress that CampLite is using in their 21RBS now, is perfect. LOL.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 11:32am
I get what you are saying. The RP-171 is an incredible value.  I do engineering cost analysis as part of my job, and my hat's off to FR for holding those price points while being able to proudly sport the "Made in USA" sticker.  I would rather they save the cost of the mattress, since that is a considered "consumable" item anyhow (like tires or brakes).  That is a good point about doing one night at home in the driveway, Had not put much thought into it, but now I am thinking that is a "must do" so that I can check the mattress - and still have time to get one on Amazon Prime if need be.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 12:18pm
Over the years, we have at least 30 nights in the driveway.. Wink

Testing things, acclimating dogs..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>