R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Pod frontal area

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod frontal area
    Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 10:47am
I did a Forum search - No Joy

What is the frontal area of an R-Pod?

The only number I found on the internet is 30 sq ft, without further info.

I didn't know that manufacturer's frontal area limits are apparently very important when choosing a tow vehicle.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 11:38am
Multiplying width * height from the brochure specs (6'5" x 8'8") yields 56.61 sq. ft. That includes the air conditioner in the height figure, so it is somewhat less, since the AC does not cover the whole width of the roof. In any case, it is over 30 sq. ft.

I found the AeroPlus from PurpleLine USA.
http://www.purplelineusa.com/products-aeroplus.php

This helps to change the dynamic and makes towing easier since it improves the airflow, reducing drag. I have noticed a significant increase in fuel mileage since I purchased this and installed it. I am towing with a 2016 Ford Escape SE with factory tow package and 2L Ecoboost engine. I really do recommend this. I only have this installed while towing, as PurpleLine states to limit the speed to 60 mph while it is installed. Also, to have it installed while not towing would be bad for vehicle mileage.

I installed this using nylock nuts instead of the plastic hand-tightened nuts. They would have pressed against the car roof, which was unacceptable. It is also quite easy to install and remove the cross-bar with the AeroPlus attached, much easier than trying to attach it to the cross-bar while it is installed. I had to do some small modifications to adjust for the low height of the cross bars so that the bolts would not dig into the car roof also. This involved adding more spacers between the plastic shield and the bracket that sits on top of the cross-bar.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 3:06pm
A member who was a hydraulic engineer did a bunch of laminar flow studies and such in the first year, finding that A) the pod isn't near as aerodynamic as we think, and B) the Effective frontal area was just a smidge under 49sqft.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by furpod

A member who was a hydraulic engineer did a bunch of laminar flow studies and such in the first year, finding that A) the pod isn't near as aerodynamic as we think, and B) the Effective frontal area was just a smidge under 49sqft.

Thanks. I did not know that. It adds to my contention that a wind deflector which helps to improve airflow can be beneficial. I purchased the AeroPlus direct from purplelineusa.com. The only other choice for a removable deflector seems to be the Icon Direct AeroShield. There is one for pickup trucks called a Taylor Wing, but it is quite expensive. It is made of metal though and not plastic.

I have noticed a significant difference in my towing with the AeroPlus. Once we start traveling this summer and can use it over longer distances, I will be able to get a better understanding of how much it helps. The instantaneous and average mileage readouts in my car definitely show the improvement on the short trips between the dealer and where we live.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
jstrenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 10:30am
I remember someone posting on here that they got much better gas mileage when their canoe was on top of the tow vehicle.  The canoe must re-direct the air around the pod instead of hitting it head on.

I would imagine the aeroPlus would do a much better job!!  Can't wait to hear your results on longer trips.  I may concider getting this for my truck.  I think it would mount to the rear bar on my roof rack.

I check out those taylor wings and ouch!!  I would have to save a lot of gas to make that pay for itself... 
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 11:55am
Interesting tidbit.. Our 31 foot Airstream is twice as long, and twice as heavy as the pod. It IS rounded on the front edges, not just the roof.. We get the EXACT same MPG towing it as the pod.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 2:22pm

Interesting tidbit.. Our 31 foot Airstream is twice as long, and twice as heavy as the pod. It IS rounded on the front edges, not just the roof.. We get the EXACT same MPG towing it as the pod.

It's all about the parachute effect, but a better question is "Why are you still towing the AS?" Where's the Lance? Cool
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

It's all about the parachute effect, but a better question is "Why are you still towing the AS?" Where's the Lance? Cool

Have not towed it lately.. Lance is in production soon..
J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 6:14pm
Last August ,I bought a 12 ft aluminum row boat to use while camping with the pod.I have a f150 with 5.4 v8. I was getting 11 mpg towing without boat on top . with it on top I get 14 mpg. I have a capper even with cab roof and put rack on cap & cab roof to carry boat.I will probably take boat with me whether I plan on using it or not.
J. - 2011 rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 6:46pm
Then it is worth carrying for the fuel savings alone. Never hurts to be prepared for high water either. LOL
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>