Topic ClosedStowing weight distribution hitch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stowing weight distribution hitch
    Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 10:58pm
If you use a weight distribution hitch, where do you stow it when you are not using it to tow? I have an Equal-i-zer 4-way sway control hitch, and the head on it is HEAVY. I have been putting it in the storage area of the 179, but it is difficult and messy putting it there and taking it out. I can't really leave it connected to the car all the time. I want to find a better way to stow it when it isn't needed.

I installed a Stromberg Carlson Trailer Tray so I can carry a generator. If I can find a suitable size locking box, I could put it on the rack with the generator. I don't want to just put it up there. I would rather it not be out in the open when it is not being used. However, where to find a suitable box that is big enough, but not so big it takes up all the space and doesn't leave any for the generator is something I would like to find out.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 12:50pm
we store ours under the pod and locked to the a frame with a cable lock.  I cover the ball with a split tennis ball that keeps the grease away from me and the rain off the ball. When we use the hitch, the tennis ball fits in a plastic zip lock  food box with snap lid stored in the cargo bay.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
ChinookPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 9:30pm
We stuff ours into the rear passthrough.
2014 RP171 HRE
2010 F150
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 7:20pm
If you are not using the pod, why not just open the door and set it on a rug on the floor?  other wise just use a padlock thru one of the safety chains.  I also hook my generator to a safety chain with a padlock.  And a cover.  
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 7:51pm
I don't know if the rear pass-through on the 171 is larger than the access on the 179. It is not easy to maneuver the hitch through the opening. I am beating up the bottom of the opening in doing so. That is why I want to find an alternative, preferably one which will be enclosed so the hitch is not sitting out in the weather while it isn't being used.

Setting the hitch on a rug on the floor also does not work since if we are going to be at a place for any length of time, I want to remove the hitch. Also, while we are home, I want to be able to get in and out without tripping over a hitch. It would not sail with the wife either.

I'll keep looking for ideas. There is probably something out there that I just haven't seen yet that will work. Smile
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Pete Brayton View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 9:23pm
How about hanging it underneath the pod? You could use a couple of loops of chain and hang it out of the way and the weather. Use carabiners or something to make the chain removable while you're on the road. It might not be easy to do depending on the weight and size but, it would be cheap and simple. 
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 10:14pm
Weight is important. I am 62 and have had back surgery. Using chains to hang under the pod would probably not work. I have a couple of ideas. When we get our R-Pod back next week, I'll see if I can nail this one down.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 9:51pm
I think I found a very workable solution!

First, the description, then pictures. I purchased a Ridgid 22" tool box from Home Depot.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22-in-Pro-Tool-Box-Black-222570/205440481

Next, I cut 2" off the bottom of the shank. This serves two purposes. It keeps the bottom of the shank from dragging on the concrete of the driveway when I am pulling out or backing in with the trailer. Second, it makes it possible to fit in the tool box.

Third, I constructed a platform with bracing in the correct locations to stabilize the hitch head and support the shank. This also reinforces the bottom. The wood does not add too much weight.

Fourth, placed a plastic bag (13 Gallon kitchen trash bag size) over the wood and filled it with a can of Great Stuff Gaps & Cracks insulating foam sealant (red can). From a previous attempt, I knew I needed to have a spray bottle of water handy to spray the foam after it was in the bag so it would cure. Without doing that, the plastic seemed to keep it from curing. After spraying it, I folded the bag and smoothed it out over the wood supports, working quickly.

Fifth, I set the hitch in place and let the foam expand and form  custom-fitted padding for the hitch. I pushed in a couple of places to help the foam go to places where it was lacking, and to leave room for other parts I wanted to store in with the hitch head. Then I let it cure.

Now for the results:

It works quite well. The case has a seal, so it is water tight. It has places to lock it to our generator mount, or it could sit on the ground under the tongue locked there. It could also sit inside under the bed if the furnace is not being used. In any case, problem solved. The opening of our R-Pod's storage area won't get beat up as much, and my back will be better off also. It does not hurt that it also is good-looking. Big smile

The bars still go in the storage area underneath. They fit well there and I can maneuver them in and out without damaging the opening.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply