R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery disconnect

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery disconnect
    Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 10:49pm
I mounted a switch inside the pod in the compartment that holds the converter.  Works fine and very convenient to add one there. I mounted it inside so I have to open the compartment to get to it.   Got a cable and the switch at auto parts store.

Last year when I got a second battery I mounted another switch that has four positions...Battery 1, Battery 2, Both Batteries or Neither (disconnect).  This one is on the battery box.  It isn't really waterproof but that doesn't seem to be a problem yet.  To mount a four way switch inside the pod would require running another cable through the pod wall.  Didn't want to deal with that and the cable is kind of expensive for the length needed. 

If you are starting with two new matched batteries, only a simple disconnect may be all you need. 
I have heard on this site (after I bought the second switch) that I don't really need the four way switch as it is better for the batteries health to run them both together all the time......so I don't really need the option of running them one at a time. 
My batteries are the same brand and model but one is a year and a half older.....so I run them separate.  I understand that running them together will make the good battery to degrade to be like the older one. Not a problem if they are perfectly matched.....but an issue f they are not.       I use the four way switch and just have left the other one in the on position.  If I ever end up with two perfectly matched batteries the I will run them both on or both off all of the time.  I suspect that the battery life I would have lost is way less than the cost of the second switch I bought.   A simple switch inside the compartment holding the converter box...out of the weather.... is probably the way to go.  Unless TechnTrek or other people on here that know better than I do advise otherwise  Smile
Leo and Tami
with Coltrane the Jack Russell Terrier
2010 Rpod 171
2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Idaklee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 7:03am
Thanks for this info. I learn so much every day! Great site!
Marcia from MN
13 177 R Pod
06 Dodge Grand Caravan
Max, Gracie & Greta
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 8:22am

I use this one mounted on an auxiliary switch box, because it's waterproof (for salt water use) and both batteries are disconnected in the off position, they are not left in parallel. And if I ever had to remove a battery for replacement, it is relatively easy to unbolt the cable from the studs, and only run one battery.

As mentioned in other posts, I do use both in parallel while camping, and when using the R-Pod inverter to charge, they are in parallel being charged together. 

I bought it on Amazon. The first one only lasted one season, the internal plastic threads came apart. The new one is holding up fine so far.

2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 11:26am
Originally posted by ToolmanJohn

I use this one mounted on an auxiliary switch box, because it's waterproof (for salt water use) and both batteries are disconnected in the off position, they are not left in parallel. And if I ever had to remove a battery for replacement, it is relatively easy to unbolt the cable from the studs, and only run one battery.

As mentioned in other posts, I do use both in parallel while camping, and when using the R-Pod inverter to charge, they are in parallel being charged together. 

This switch would work if one is running 12 Volt batteries independently or in parallel. However, it would not work when one has two 6 Volt batteries which need to be run in series to provide the 12 Volts for the R-Pod. In this case, a simple on/off switch is what is needed. That is, unless one is running a larger battery bank of four 6 Volt batteries with two pair of 6 Volt batteries, each run in series and then the two pair of 6 Volt batteries (now 12 Volt) connected together in parallel. That would be some serious weight. Shocked It would provide quite a bit of reserve capacity though. Smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
JohnBG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by TheBum

Originally posted by JohnBG

Originally posted by StephenH

Caution! If you are going to disconnect the battery either by disconnecting the terminal or by using a switch, make sure it is the NEGATIVE (-) terminal. I just finished my installation.
Why the negative?  With the positive connected there is still the chance you could accidentally ground something in the system causing sparkage.

Yes, but if the loose positive makes contact with the frame, you'd get much worse than sparkage, i.e. a short circuit.

Tucked neatly inside the back of the plastic battery box, there's no chance of that happening.
2010 R-Pod RP-171
2010 Honda Ridgeline TV
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

When I saw this topic resurrected I swore I wouldn't open my mouth .............................and I won't Approve[/QUOTE]

I'm with CharlieM.    
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by David

Originally posted by CharlieM

When I saw this topic resurrected I swore I wouldn't open my mouth .............................and I won't Approve

I'm with CharlieM.     [/QUOTE]
I'm down at starbucks getting a Latte..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123