R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSoft floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soft floor
    Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 4:28pm
i have a 2010 Rpod 175 and the floor just outside of  the bathroom is soft. Does anyone know if this is a warranty fix, is it repairable and if so how much might it cost?

Thanks
Craig Burlette
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 7:09am
Doubt very much about a warranty when it is 6 years old.  Certainly repairable but will be a job as you will have to tear out your linoleum and  subfloor and replace.  You plan on doing this yourself or have someone else tear into it?  Also, better find out what caused this in the first place so it doesn't happen again.  Plumbing leak or coming from the outside, running down a wall and ending up where your soft spot is.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 8:54am
I commented on your other thread.. If you check, and find no leak, then it's just a soft floor. The FR fix is to add a stiffner and cross brace under the soft area. The Airstream owner fix is to install a floating laminate floor in the trailer. The stiffness of the laminate takes care of the soft feeling area beneath. Because of the construction of the pod floor vs an Airstream floor, actual water damage to the pod floor is rare, but can happen. Mostly soft spots in the pod have shown up in spots of concentrated foot traffic, like right inside the door, or right outside the bathroom. The foam in the floor's core is breaking down. 
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 11:49am
Thanks Mark, wasn't aware of foam in the floor's core. Much easier to add a cross brace than to rip and tear and start over.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Unclewillis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 4:05pm
I posted about this too. My floor is soft right in from of the kitchen. (we have the 176T) I crawled under to see the floor and low and behold the black tank is in the way. We are out of warranty and its not a serious issue so far but I am concerned.
After watching the Forest river video of the pod assembly, I can't see how the floor would be repaired without cutting a section of floor
Daddy, Mommy and Daughter.
BlackJack & Keno (boston Terriers)
Rpod 176T 2015
Nick:
ouR-pod
cburlette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 12:13am
Thanks for the info everyone' if I get a chance to look into this this summer I will post pictures of what I find.

Craig
StrongPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 6:31pm
2010 RPod171 w/ V8 F150
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 9:46pm
Good info to keep in mind. 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StrongPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 10:00pm
I have a 2010 171 Rpod&recently had a leak that came thru my AC n the hall outside the bath. Now there is a soft spot in yhe floor in this area. A trailler business loked underneath the Rpod&thought everything was solid enough. How is the Rpod floor constructed&should I be concerned about this? Or how could it be repaired?
2010 RPod171 w/ V8 F150
Tomtreas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 8:06pm
Thanks Furpod for this post so long ago as it has helped me to understand this from a couple of fronts. 

My floor is soft from just inside my door back to about 5/8 of the way to the other side. I do notice if I look underneath that this part is completely unbraced and also recently I took it to a local RV dealer for other work and while there check the floor. They said something about extra bracing from underneath.  

When I purchased the camper back in Feb which I believe had been parked for the winter, we noticed a single water run on the surface of the paneling just under the right side of the slider under the fridge.  I ruled it as an isolated incident after finding a maple sead in the rubber runner on top of the slider. We haven't had any wet or evidence of any water leakage since I have owned it and I took that as a lesson to always check before moving the slider in for stuff on top of it. =)

I'm pretty certain that this softness is just to floor traffic and possibly a little less stiff to start with than should be for a 250+ lb person to be walking on it all the time. =)  I'm going to have my local dealer do the stiffener and bracing. While I don't think my foot would go through it anytime soon, it just makes me nervous to feel the floor going down a bit below me when I walk in that area. so... 

Thanks again!

Not sure if I have anything in my signature here yet but if not, I have a 2016 RP178.  We love it!
Tom & Lisa in Missouri
Tom B in MO USA
2016 RP178
2008 Xterra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>