R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChoice of Hitch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choice of Hitch
    Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 2:43pm
Hi everyone, we just bought our first camper yesterday (taking delivery in about two weeks), and I need some advice on getting a hitch.  I have searched this forum and could not find discussions on weight distribution hitches.

I will be pulling the RPod 179 with a 2008 Tundra 5.7L (yes, I know some will say a WD hitch with sway control is not needed, but I am in the camp that prefers to be on the safest side of things).  I cant recall the manufacturer the dealer recommended, but instead of just taking what they sell I wanted to get some opinions from other folks that pull this kind of trailer.

I have done some research...the fastway e2 hitch looks interesting. But i am intrigued with the Husky Centerline Towing System http://www.huskytow.com/product/husky-center-line-towing-system/
as they claim it is different from comparable systems as the sway bars do not need to be removed, and the Anderson Hitch: http://www.andersenhitches.com/Catalog/andersen-nosway-weight-distribution-hitch.aspx . I am curious about the ratings of this hitch as the Tongue Weight Range  is 500–1,400 lbs, and I believe I'll be around 300-350 lbs.  

Any input, or a link to an existing thread to reference would be great!  Thank you!
2016 R-Pod 179. Mods (so far): dual batteries, R-dome, Visio TV
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 3:03pm
Click on Topic Search -  WDH  or hitch - has been discussed about as much as one would want to read.
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 3:05pm
Hi and welcome, I tow my 172 with a 2013 Tundra 5.7 L I use the Equal-I-zer with 4 point sway control, wouldn't leave home without it.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

DaveC3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 4:15pm
We took delivery of a new 180 yesterday.  My wife will do most of the driving.  We had an Equal-i-zer  four way hitch installed. Only one trip but worked well. My opinion better safe than sorry.
2016 R-Pod 180
2015 Ford Explorer Limited
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 5:57pm
Welcome to the group, BROTHER, PTL!  We have only used a sway bar on our Explorer and haven't ever had any issues, even with very windy conditions of up to 30 mph cross-winds.  Yet  it is a great idea to be safe, rather than sorry.  Would be a necessity I think with the bigger unit such as you purchased.  
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 6:31pm
Welcome.  As john said there are many topics on the subject.  Use advanced search and change the default timeframe to more than 6 months.

I used an E2 6000/600 WDH with our pod with good results.  Even with our Suburban - it improves the ride quality.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 9:41am
Welcome!

This from the Husky web site:  SAFETY TIP: Do not use the Center Line Hitch with loaded trailers under 4,000 lbs.

We have the Equal-i-zer 4-way stabilization hitch rated at 600 Lbs tongue weight and 6,000 Lbs capacity. It works well for us. I just ordered and received a set of Sway Bracket Jackets along with Socket Pins w/Thumb Clips, which will make it even better. I never did like the clips that came with the hitch. The socket pins with clips will be more secure and since the clips are attached, they will be unlikely to get separated or misplaced. The jackets will help quiet the hitch and eliminate some of the groaning and popping noises we were hearing on turns.

As for the Andersen hitch, I had considered that one too. The concerns I have are that I do not know how durable the urethane "springs" are. Also, I have read that some people have had problems with the friction insert for the hitch ball. It is the ball turning in the socket that provides friction to control sway in that hitch. OTOH, it looks easy to adjust he amount of weight transfer to increase or decrease as loads shift (e.g. fresh water tank empties and black/grey water tanks fill). That is not so easy with the other type hitches.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
grand beaver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 6:49pm
I am about to begin the install of a Fastway E2 on our 2016/179. From the research I have done the Anderson and the Husky will be more than necessary. I will try to update my experience when I am complete. Good choice on the 179 btw, it is the best floorplan!
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 6:59pm
Welcome to the group!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171