Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTRANNY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRANNY
    Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 9:10pm
 I am bothered by "Lifetime Fill" transmission fluids that some automakers are now going to. My vehicle has NO engine oil dipstick (but it does have an electronic one on the media display) and it has NO transmission dipstick and NO transmission fill tube either. Lifetime??? Not so sure about the wisdom of never changing or checking the tranny fluid if it's being used to tow.

I intend to do the tranny fluid change at 60,000 miles (currently at 42K+) but I have to disconnect some hoses at the radiator to get most of the fluid out. Not looking forward to that one. Most dealerships will just drain the pan, and add fluid back in until it reads full, leaving a lot of old fluid inside the torque converter. That ain't right.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 9:28pm
The 2016 Ford Escape 2L Ecoboost engine is also one without a transmission dipstick. It still has an engine oil dipstick. In order to check the transmission oil level/quality, I will have to take it in as the manual does not even say where to check. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 9:48pm
There is usually a fill hole in the side of the transmission. When that plug is removed fluid is added until it comes out, then the fill plug is replaced. This is how it is on my VW.  I want to drop the pan and check the magnets when changing fluid, as I did on my former 4Runner. If the pan is dropped, it means installing a new gasket and sometimes a filter (usually there is a metal pickup screen, but no filter element). Time consuming and messy when you don't have a lift and are working on your back on a creeper.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

Originally posted by Craneman

My 2011 with 100 k miles ford says service auto tranny at 150k have 3.5 v/6 turbo boost. Just had the 100k maintenance done and it coste 600.00 that was a shocker

Moe

$600?  What did they do? Remove and replace tranny?? Remove and replace engine?? Remove and delete wallet??

we bought a extended warranty  and we had to have any manufacture  scheduled maintenance preformed and verifiable . If not warranty void yuc
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 5:16pm
There are two ways to change the fluid. One is to drop the pan & the other is fluid exchange. Pan drop partially changes fluid as a third of fluid remains in torque converter, if you change every 50k not a real problem. Pan drop usually under $100. If filter present they change it. The other way is to hookup exchange machine and it switches out all fluid. Usually about $150. If you drop the pan uself don't over tighten bolts during reinstalled
Or you will crush gasket and cause a pan leak.l don't think your f150 has a filter.
J. - 2011 rpod 171
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by J&Jcf

There are two ways to change the fluid. One is to drop the pan & the other is fluid exchange. Pan drop partially changes fluid as a third of fluid remains in torque converter, if you change every 50k not a real problem. Pan drop usually under $100. If filter present they change it. The other way is to hookup exchange machine and it switches out all fluid. Usually about $150. If you drop the pan uself don't over tighten bolts during reinstalled
Or you will crush gasket and cause a pan leak.l don't think your f150 has a filter.

my 2010 does.  Change fluid and filter at 50K.  Will be time again this fall after the camping season.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 7:46pm
With our Dodge Caravans I did it myself, not a difficult job, took a bit over an hour.  I would do it at 50,000 miles.  Sold our 90 caravan with 260,000 and our 97 caravan with 218,000 miles.  Great vehicles and the 3.3 L seemed to be bulletproof, like the old 318's that Mopar produced in the 60's.  Now I get to our 08 Explorer and I have to have someone else do it, I don't have the ability or tools to do it myself, bummer and yes, just like the VW and Escape, they don't want you to work on your car anymore.

Last week however I stopped and spoke with a fellow from Pennsylvania driving a 55 Desoto with a 390 Hemi, the hood was up.  He had the distributor cap off, and was using some 300 grit sandpaper to smooth the contacts.  That took care of the problem and off he went.  Remember those days when all you really needed was a extra set of plugs, points, condensor, spare distributor cap, a few tools, and you didn't have to take it in to get repaired.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 8:41am
probably hogones goofiest question yet! my f150 has a tranny gage, but doesn't show actual temp; just range. how accurate (or inaccurate) would it be to get the tranny good and hot, then shoot my temp gun on the pan? oh my; hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 9:28am
Originally posted by hogone

probably hogones goofiest question yet! my f150 has a tranny gage, but doesn't show actual temp; just range. how accurate (or inaccurate) would it be to get the tranny good and hot, then shoot my temp gun on the pan? oh my; hogone

I don't think I'd trust that measurement. Too many unknowns in series. I'd recommend a ScanGuage. You can get a much better indication of trends as you drive. You want to have some idea of how hot and how long to determine fluid changes. A cheaper alternative would be any of the OBD II plugin devices for iPhone or Android. Just less convenient. My Tacoma and Pilot both have transmission idiot lights that have never come on, but I cannot find any documentation on the set temperatures. Even the dealership "trained and certified" techs could not find it. My impression is when the lights come on you're already toast! Who knows what your panel meter shows.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 10:56am
My 2011 has a digital read out for trans temp. F150
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150