R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater pump for newbies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water pump for newbies
    Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 8:30pm
I have some newbie questions regarding the water pump.

I am taking my 177 out in 2 weeks for really the first time with hookups. The one and only time I took it out, I only had electric and used bottled water.

I had it winterized after that trip and the shop told me to just run the water for 5 minutes or so to run all the antifreeze out.
When I purchased the RPod I didn't get a lot of info-- and now I need to know how the water pump works.
  • Do I only use it if I'm pulling from the freshwater tank?
  • Or do I use it when I'm hooked up to an external water supply. In a nutshell, what does the water pump actually do (so I don't break something!)? 
  • And if I'm on external water, I can leave my fresh tank empty, right?

And is RV antifreeze dangerous while I'm on the topic? What if there is leftovers that isn't completely flushed out through the pipes?

Thanks so much!!!!

2011 R-Pod 177 aka The Pawd Pad
2002 Chevy Tahoe
2 happy dogs
jstrenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 9:01pm
If you have external water supply (city water), you do not need water in your fresh water tank, and you do not need the water pump on.  The pressure from the external water supply provides all the pressure to the taps and toilet.

If you are dry camping (no external water) you would fill the fresh water tank prior to camping and then you would use the water pump.  The water pump provides pressure to the taps and toilet.

As far as the anti freeze, just flush it out so the water is no longer pink.  The anti freeze contains alcohol which is safe once it is rinsed out of your plumbing.
dogsintow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 9:50pm
Awesome. thanks!
Do you keep the water pump on the entire time you're camping, or just turn it on when you are about to run a tap or use the bathroom? I assume it draws from battery power when dry camping.
2002 Chevy Tahoe
2 happy dogs
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 10:43pm
I turn the water pump off when I'm out for the day and maybe at night, if I think about it.  It's safe to leave it on -- it only comes on as needed (when there is a drop in line pressure due to a valve being opened, or the toilet being flushed.  As soon as the pressure comes back up, the pump turns off.  It can be a good idea to leave the pump switch on when you are in the pod.  If you hear the pump come on when you are not using any water it probably indicates a leak some where, or at least a dripping faucent.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
jato View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 10:56pm
Guess I am very fussy about the water I drink, but after the first year of owning our 2011  177 and winterizing with the RV antifreeze, it took me 3 attempts using different concoctions to rid the tank of that smell and have water that was enjoyable to taste. 

Ever since then I have hooked up my compressor for about 30 seconds to blow out the water lines.  No more RV antifreeze, except for the 2 sinks and 1 shower trap (about 1 pint) and now I can enjoy my sweet tasting well water to my hearts content w/o any foul smell or taste.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
dogsintow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 11:04pm
I'm picky too Jato! Especially since I have dogs, I don't really wanting them drinking water with RV antifreeze particles in it, even just a little. I mainly travel in my Rpod to dog shows, so I have a little self-policy that I and the dogs only drink bottled water, even if it's a pain in the butt to get and tote around. My trips are generally 1-3 nights on weekends, so a gallon of bottled water will go a long way, especially since we're at the dog show during the day and only using the water in the camper in the evening and nights. I will use the external water (or tank) for showers and dishes and stuff. I just got my Rpod in September and it has only gone on one trip (pre-winterized), so once I have a few more trips under my belt, I'll see if I have to make any more modifications.
2002 Chevy Tahoe
2 happy dogs
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 2:41am
The only time I ever used RV antifreeze on our pod was October 2011.  The following spring I used bleach overnight in the tank but still had the taste/smell of antifreeze.  After that I used a mixture of white vinegar and lemon lime concentrate then filled the tank up, let sit for 24 hours and drain.  After that the tank was clean, no more smell or funny after taste.
God's pod
'11 model 177
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 9:11am
Originally posted by jato

The only time I ever used RV antifreeze on our pod was October 2011.  The following spring I used bleach overnight in the tank but still had the taste/smell of antifreeze.  After that I used a mixture of white vinegar and lemon lime concentrate then filled the tank up, let sit for 24 hours and drain.  After that the tank was clean, no more smell or funny after taste.

Would you expand upon this please? For example, how much white vinegar and lemon lime concentrate? Where do you get lemon lime concentrate?

Thanks.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 4:26pm
My first mistake was to use a 2% bleach solution which only compounded my problem.  After that fiasco I used 1 gallon of white vinegar and 1 quart of real-lemon concentrate then filled my tank and let it sit overnight then the next day ran the entire 30 gallons through the hot/cold lines on both sinks.  Fortunately I didn't run RV or bleach through the hot water heater, already had closed the bypass.  Even after this I could still get a hint of both antifreeze and bleach so I repeated the process a second time with the white vinegar and lemon concentrate except this time I only added 5 gallons of water to the tank.  Let it sit overnight and ran the water lines for about a couple minutes and let it sit another day.  The next day everything was run through the hot/cold lines until the tank was empty.  FINALLY, the taste and smell were gone.  Have used air to purge the lines ever since w/o any leak issues.  A friend of ours had a similar problem with their RV having used antifreeze so in their case we just put in 1 gallon of white vinegar and 1 quart of lemon concentrate and added 5 gallons of water to the tank.  Let sit overnight and ran the lines for a minute and then shut the valves and let the mix sit in the lines for another day.  Ran the remaining mix through the lines and the problem was resolved.  
God's pod
'11 model 177
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 6:48pm
Thanks. I'll probably be doing this as soon as we get our R-Pod back from the dealer. I don't think we will get any more hard freezes that would put the water lines at risk, and I want to get the antifreeze flushed out as quickly as possible. I'll remember next time I winterize to just do the air purge and save the antifreeze for the traps.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>