R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed3K Honda Gen w/ 2 Campers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3K Honda Gen w/ 2 Campers
    Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 6:39am
So within the near future ill be taking my 179 out and a 16' Scamp Camper out. I can rent a 3K Watt Honda Generator from the Base for $15 a day and not positive they will let me take out 2 at a time. So im hopeing that a single will be good enough to power our heaters at night and maybe along with some in door lights and possibly the watter pumps some. Also how much fuel would you say I should be good with for 2 nights out. Im not positive on the specs for either of the heaters but I would say the Rpod is the bigger of the two only in guessing since the scamp is a smaller camper. Any and all info is greatly appreciated, thanks.

- Alex
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 9:41am
If, by heaters, you mean the built in propane furnaces, they run on 12V. No 120V required. All the lights, pump, and fans also run on 12V. The fridge and water heater can also run on propane. Unless it's really cold your battery should last the two days, especially if you've upgraded from the standard Gp24 dealer supplied battery. The only thing you might need the generator for is recharging for the second or third day. The 3000 watt gen is way overkill. If you elect to use 1500W electric heaters the 3K may run them both. Depends on the genny, but you really don"t need them.. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 9:44am
You should only need the genny for topping off batteries in the morning. all the stuff you mention, is on the 12v/propane systems. At least for the Pod.. I don't know how the systems are set up on the Scamp, but assume it also is 12v centric..

Topping off the batteries daily will take an hour and half or so per trailer. DON'T use the 12v output from the genny, use the shore power cord. The Honda's only put 8A out of the 12v leads, but putting the genny output into the shore power cord allows the converter/charger to input 45A to the battery. I would suspect, for 3 days, a 5 gallon can of fuel will be more then enough.. The genny will probably run mostly in eco mode anyways.
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 9:47am
Here are the average current draws from the manufactures data sheets that came with my trailer. A 3000 watt generator is rated at 2800 watts so it can output 23 amps.
Air Conditioner & Fan     23.3/15
Air Fan Hi     3.5
Microwave     9.5
Grill     8.75
Water Heater     11
Refrigerator     9.5
Battery Charger (max)     7.9
Television     1.8
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
Appocalexx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 6:27pm
Great info guys thanks for the replies. I did not know that the heater ran off the battery. I knew that it was propane heated but also thought it would drain the battery before the night was up. The only reason i was looking at the 3K watt geny is because its only 15$ a day to rent so money well spent I would say. Better to have more than not have enough. With us being so new to the TT world I would like to go with an overkill as much as possible to avoid any issues.

I was planning on getting the trailer last weekend but I need to get a lower drop in my ball mount with my TV sitting so high in the rear as well as figure out why my 7way plug in did not work. I will be figuring out that stuff tomorrow and hopefully get this thing hooked up and de winterized this coming weekend. Any good links on de winterizing these things? It has been slowly getting warmer with less and less freezing temps. I think I will be ok de winterizing now so I can have the Pod ready for next month.

Thanks in advance.

- Alex
 Post Reply Post Reply