R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closednew TV now WDH/AntiSway buy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: new TV now WDH/AntiSway buy?
    Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 5:34am
Just got a new TV, 07' Tahoe 4x4 w/ 5.3L V8 w/ factory tow package. Max Tow 8200 lbs per specs of multiple references. Iv been doing some reading and it seems that the concensus is WDH and Anti Sway hitch is the way to go even tho the TT is well under the recommended towing copacity. I have a 179er and will plan to load it down eventually. Not too many long hauls in the near future but will be doing a good 5k mile trip in the summer of 2017.

Iv been doing some searches for what kind of WDH w/ anti sway bar to get and have not found any good resources with the set up I will be driving with (Tahoe-179). I have looked at a lot of them and can not really decide on what type is right for the Tahoe. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.

- Alex
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 8:23am
One opinion from my experience: My personal preference would be the E2 or Equalizer. You won't need a lot of weight distribution, but some will control porpoising and the anti sway function will also help. Another option is the Andersen. It provides sway control and limited weight distribution, but I have no personal experience with it. There are other options including some from Reese that you'll read about here. Whatever you hear, don't let anyone talk you out of the WDH. It makes a huge difference in the ride and fatigue reduction. Don't leave home without it Cool
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 10:08am
Andersen.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 10:19am
I have an Equalizer with 4 way sway control, 6,000 lb. model. Advantages are that it does work quite well. I am towing with a 2016 Ford Escape, and even though the vehicle is small, the hitch gives me a good ride and great sway control. The bad part is that it is HEAVY. The bars are not too bad, but the head is heavy and not easy to lift as it has no really good places to grab. If it is greased as it should be, it can be messy also. Disposable gloves help there.

Andersen is supposed to be a whole lot lighter and easier. It does not require grease and should therefore also be cleaner. I don't have any experience with one so I do not know how well it works in comparison with the Equalizer. My dealer did not seem to think very highly of the Andersen. Whether it was because he had the Equalizer and wanted to sell it to us or whether it was based on experience, I don't know. He said that people have problems adjusting the weight distribution on the Andersen. Also, some of the reviews seem to indicate that the urethane "springs" of the Andersen are not as durable as one might hope. I don't know how much replacements would cost.

There are other WDH models out there, some less expensive and some a lot more expensive than the Equalizer. It would be good to look at reviews of different models before making a decision if time is not critical. In our case, we did not have a lot of time, so we went with the dealer's Equalizer.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 10:28am
We have a Reese, 6000/600, and use a greasless ball. TV has 9200lb tow rating.

We towed the first 2 seasons without the WDH, (we had it for the other camper), decided to try towing with it because others said it rode better when they tried it.. and it did. Haven't towed without it since.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 1:57pm
It isn't just the ball that I grease. The instructions say to grease the friction surfaces on at the pivot points of the bars to prevent premature wear. I didn't see that until after our first trip. Since, I have started doing so. After we brought the R-Pod home the first time and unhitched it, I saw the amount of wear on the ball just from that first towing. That is when I started greasing the ball.

What kind of ball do you have that is greaseless? I looked online, and saw some with a nylon cap. Is that it?
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by StephenH

It isn't just the ball that I grease. The instructions say to grease the friction surfaces on at the pivot points of the bars to prevent premature wear. I didn't see that until after our first trip. Since, I have started doing so. After we brought the R-Pod home the first time and unhitched it, I saw the amount of wear on the ball just from that first towing. That is when I started greasing the ball.

What kind of ball do you have that is greaseless? I looked online, and saw some with a nylon cap. Is that it?

Yes, it's one of the ones with the nylon cap. Works great. We don't use grease on the hitch itself. Never an issue. Or at least not yet. 6 years towing.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 2:51pm
How long have you been using the greaseless hitch ball? How well does it hold up? Since it is softer than metal, does it wear away and need replacing?
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 3:09pm
The Andersen DWH is unusual in the fact that the ball doesn't turn in the hitch.  The hitch does move up and down around the ball, causing some squeaks without lube.  I find it very easy to use and is easily adjusted with a 1/2" drive ratchet.
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by StephenH

How long have you been using the greaseless hitch ball? How well does it hold up? Since it is softer than metal, does it wear away and need replacing?

3 years now. About 9-10K miles. Looks pretty much new so far. It's been used at 100F and 20F.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>