R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing Vehicle for R-pod 178?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TheBum View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing Vehicle for R-pod 178?
    Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 9:44am
We're using a 2012 Toyota Highlander. We started off with a standard hitch, but the front end was rising a bit too much, so I installed a weight distribution hitch this weekend. We haven't towed the trailer much yet, but initial indications are that it will work quite nicely. I have a trip later this week where I'll do several hours of driving, so I'll be able to make a better assessment.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by ToolmanJohn

I have talked with a lot of guys towing small campers (r-Pod and T@B) and universally, everyone gets about HALF their normal highway mpg when towing. The formula seems to hold up.

Yup. Works every time, including full sized 1/2 ton trucks. It's a function of the trailer, wind, speed and not TV, engine, etc.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Capt Kidd

We tried towing our 179 behind my sisters Honda Pilot. Worked just fine except the gas mileage was horrible. Normally get 22 not towing but towing only get 11.

Our solution is to tow it behind our Dodge 3500 Mega Cab diesel. We now get about 13 mpg and don't even know it is back there. Also diesel is usually cheaper than gasoline now.

I have talked with a lot of guys towing small campers (r-Pod and T@B) and universally, everyone gets about HALF their normal highway mpg when towing. The formula seems to hold up.

My previous 4Runner would normally get about 20-21 mpg highway, and drop to 11.5-12 mpg towing the R-Pod 177 at 60-65 mph, and worse when travelling North to Vermont from Connecticut (9-10 mpg). With a 21 gallon fuel tank, I would have to stop before my destination to refuel.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 4:11pm
 If the money is not a real issue, I would recommend the Touareg TDI . I get 23 mpg mostly city, and a real 30 mph highway at 65 mph. I get near 15 mpg towing hilly highway at 65 mpg. No lugging. It never struggles. Someday I will upgrade to a small toy hauler nearer the tow capacity (7700 lbs). There is currently an across the board "stop sale" for ALL VW, Audi, and Porsche TDI diesel vehicles.

But as mentioned, right now NO ONE can buy one from a dealer, new or used. March 24th is the day when the EPA and CARB have to finish their review of the submitted plan to "correct/fix" the software documentation problem and any emissions problems for the 3.0L Diesel V6 engines.  VW is hoping that the fix submitted in February will be accepted, and not rejected as their previous fix for the 4 cylinder models.

VW cannot de-rate or de-tune the engines in question to meet emissions, EPA will not allow it. The engines must perform the way the original vehicle Monroney Sticker said they would for engine performance and economy. So the current owners are not screwed, just annoyed.

I already spent half of the $1000 VW goodwill money towards new tires. I still have $500 on a VW only cash card. Then when they finally achieve a "fix", they will likely have to pay penalties to the owners in the form of cash/rebates/buybacks which at this point is all unknown, but great drama.

Seriously, I will NOT sell or trade my Touareg TDI, it has been awesome when towing compared to my previous tow vehicle (2003 4Runner). So far is has been very reliable except for a probable "dealer low competence" issue that was resolved in a week. 
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Planetwister View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 11:49am
I towed my trailer home with my dads F-250 because I didn't have a brake controller for my F-150 yet and the trailer is so light and doesn't compress the leaf springs at all so it towed like crap! I also have air bags on my 150 with a self leveling kit so that helps with the ride too.
GLORY TO GOD

2016 178 Hood River
2004 F150
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 11:46am
dodge 3500, now were talking with a real towing machine; except it should be a ford f350!!!!  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 10:55am
We tried towing our 179 behind my sisters Honda Pilot. Worked just fine except the gas mileage was horrible. Normally get 22 not towing but towing only get 11.

Our solution is to tow it behind our Dodge 3500 Mega Cab diesel. We now get about 13 mpg and don't even know it is back there. Also diesel is usually cheaper than gasoline now.
Planetwister View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 12:17am
I would go with a new Eco Boost Explorer if money wasn't much of a issue.
GLORY TO GOD

2016 178 Hood River
2004 F150
CampCat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 11:38pm
Not to mention, which I forgot about, the VW and epa investigation. I only mentioned the VW because the original post requested more than 3500 lbs towing and not a pickup. Consumer reports had a so so opinion of it, as they do with many vehicles. I once looked for the perfect tow/commuter vehicle. I never truly found it. Perhaps it doesn't exist. 
I'm pretty sure I'll get the new Ridgline as the towing is increased and the mileage is supposed to be better. Although that doesn't help the original posting question. I was just offering food for thought. 
Patrick&Deanna,
Scion xB, Clark Vertex Hammock "PuppypPod", crosswind kayak
Starting from scratch😄
CampCat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 11:17pm
Lol, I hear you. LOLThat's truly the beauty of an Rpod. Lite weight for sure. 
Patrick&Deanna,
Scion xB, Clark Vertex Hammock "PuppypPod", crosswind kayak
Starting from scratch😄
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>