R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFlat Tire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flat Tire
    Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 10:17am
I took the tire to my local Firestone Service Center.   They said there's no problem with the tire, the rim has a hole in it.

I'm hoping FR will send a replacement to my home so I can have the tire mounted to the new rim before I travel. I have a warranty service scheduled with the dealer at the end of March to replace the brake lights which fill with water. I can give them the bad rim then.

We'll see how it works out with FR. I'll post more if the situation warrants.
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 11:41am
We bought a floor jack @ Walmart with a plastic carrying case 25-30 $ tested it and works great .trick of changing a flat on our pod is getting a jack under the riser when the tire is flat. Problem solved with the floor jack. One benefit of the plastic carrying case is if the hydraulic oil leaks a little it will be contained in the case.
                        Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 2:53pm
I guess this must be a stupid question - Why not use the typical scissors jack that comes with the tow vehicle? My TV is 4000 lbs, 1/2 of a 171 is roughly 1200-1300 lbs, and the hitch would take up some of that trailer weight.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

I guess this must be a stupid question - Why not use the typical scissors jack that comes with the tow vehicle? My TV is 4000 lbs, 1/2 of a 171 is roughly 1200-1300 lbs, and the hitch would take up some of that trailer weight.

Mostly because that jack is designed to latch or couple with a particular mounting point on the TV.. that point doesn't exist on the pod.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Don Halas

I took the tire to my local Firestone Service Center.   They said there's no problem with the tire, the rim has a hole in it.

I'm hoping FR will send a replacement to my home so I can have the tire mounted to the new rim before I travel. I have a warranty service scheduled with the dealer at the end of March to replace the brake lights which fill with water. I can give them the bad rim then.

We'll see how it works out with FR. I'll post more if the situation warrants.

NOT the first holed rim we have heard of. FR has had no issues sending replacements so far as I can recall..
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by furpod

Originally posted by Happy Tripping

Mostly because that jack is designed to latch or couple with a particular mounting point on the TV.. that point doesn't exist on the pod.
---------
As I say, this must be a stupid question. 
On my TV the mounting point is an extended rectangle of body metal that fits into a slit in the jack. At first glance, inserting a thin square or rectangular steel plate, that extends slightly above the top of the jack's level, into the jack's slit would then enable the jack to raise the Rpod, lying on the top of the thin steel plate. If properly centered, stability would appear to depend on the contact between the ground and the jack's base, but that will always be true. 

The only reason I bring this up is that adding a small metal plate to the TV's jack kit is a lot simpler and more compact than adding a second jack, if the TV jack can actually handle the weight.

Thank you for your help.
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 5:06pm
"
NOT the first holed rim we have heard of. FR has had no issues sending replacements so far as I can recall.. "

I spoke to Jessica at FR this afternoon.  They will NOT replace the rim without proof that there is indeed a leak.  So I will have to buy a replacement to have shipped to me, then take the rim to Stoltzfus to validate that the hole exists and then they will tell FR to credit me.

They're also being a little less forward in replacing brake lights filled with water.  They say they replaced one of the two BEFORE I took possession of the R-Pod and need proof that both are having the problem.  I had a discussion with them in October regarding this.

So, right now I'm not particularly impressed with FR's efforts to correct warranty problems.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 7:19pm
Well.. you have to admit, they need a dealer or personal contact with the issues to cover them as warranty.. Otherwise we would all be calling for "warranty" parts to be shipped to us at home.. the world honestly doesn't work that way.

Since you don't have to take the whole trailer, maybe just run the rim/tire to your dealer? maybe bring some pictures of the flooded tail lights..?
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 8:21am
I can understand why they don't want to be sending parts out without some assurance of a valid in-warranty issue. I do however have a couple of issues with this with my situations.

First, I was in Virginia in October at the time we noticed the lights filled with water. I live in Connecticut and the dealer I purchase from Stoltzfus RV is in Pennsylvania. The closest dealer to me in Virginia at the time was 1-1/2 hours away.

I had several conversations with Jessica at FR because I did not want to have to drive any distance with no lights and was not sure if they would short under power. At that time she agreed to let me do what I needed to drain the water from them including drilling a hole in the lens. I would then hook the trailer up to test the lights. If the lights failed she was going to send new ones express to me at the campground for me to repair. Otherwise we would handle through the dealer at a later time which is what I am planning on doing. There is evidently an issue with the lights that they are aware of. The fact they replaced one of them on the trailer prior to me purchasing it should not be a reason for them to doubt me, but rather a reason to acknowledge the problem and replace with minimal discomfort to their customer.

I would be happy to exchange the rim locally with an authorized agent for the trailer or the rim but there is none. I do not think I should be expected to travel 4 hours without a spare to get it to the dealer for service. I think because this is a safety issue other remedies should be offered.

Both of these are travel and safety issues. I'm not worried that the refrigerator is beeping or that microwave doesn't work or that there are cosmetic issues in the trailer. Those types of issues could indeed be rectified by the dealer without concern.

I do feel though that I have issues that are safety related and could be considered making the trailer not road worthy. I have no prior issues so I don't see why FR would not be more customer centric and try to resolve this and avoid unnecessary frustration. After all it was the trailer they built with parts they selected.

J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 4:49pm
It's to bad the RV industry doesn't have manufactures like Toyota or Honda to force improvement of product like they did with the American auto industry.
J. - 2011 rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>