Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhere to have a bike rack - Event Date: 31 Jan 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Where to have a bike rack
    Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 8:43am
We purchased our RPod 179 last July.  We use to tent camper for years and were nervous about buying a camper.   But so far we love the RPod.  It is great to have everything organized and ready to go in a small space.   However, I do agree with everyone else that it would be nice to have a manual for camper newbies.  Although, we have found that youtube videos have been very helpful from winterizing to the awning.  But now my question is where and how to put a bike rack on the camper for two bikes.   Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.  
R Benn
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 9:39am
i use the spare tire hitch and keep the tire in the truck.  i have a 2 bike rack by allen.  works great.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 10:04am
There are generally two methods for carrying bikes. The first is to use the rear bumper hitch with a lightweight carrier and relocate the spare tire. Minimizing the weight on the rear bumper is important. Forest River sells a lightweight rack, but the same Highland rack is available from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Highland-1375100-SportWing-Mounted-Carrier/dp/B004002CS4/ref=pd_sbs_263_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=31eONjsDlHL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1KVSM18XWAN7MNEYD1A7

Options for the displaced spare include carrying it in the TV and remounting on the trailer tongue. Search this forum for spare tire mounting methods.

The second option is leave the spare on the rear and carry the bikes between the TV and TT. A tested solution is the Swagman platform carrier:

http://www.swagman.net/product/traveler-xcs2/

http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-64664-Bike-Rack/dp/B003YJK1PS/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1454251701&sr=8-10&keywords=swagman+xc2

I have used both with a Honda Pilot and RP172. If you are using a WDH, and you should be, the Swagman will require an extended shank, but it does have the advantage that you can take the bikes with you without the TT. Search this forum for this solution.

The Swagman solution is more expensive, but it's simpler, more versatile, and easier to use so I preferred it.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 2:58pm
Welcome.  A third option is to install a receiver hitch on the front of the TV, if you have a larger TV.  I put a cargo tray up front and either carry our generator or 4 bikes on it (a ratchet strap keeps them on there rock-solid, upright).

As for a manual see the link in my signature.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 7:39pm
bennett:  don't buy that swagman, not a good sturdy rack and flimsy for the pod.  highly recommend the allen rack.  excellent rack for the rear bumper hitch.  hogone 
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by hogone

bennett:  don't buy that swagman, not a good sturdy rack and flimsy for the pod.  highly recommend the allen rack.  excellent rack for the rear bumper hitch.  hogone 

Not sure what you find not sturdy about the Swagman. It is too heavy for the Pod rear bumper so I goes on the TV hitch between TV and TT. I have since moved it to the rear bumper of my Camplite and I can STAND on it. Perhaps you're thinking of the Highland, which is very light as it must be for the Pod rear bumper.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 6:27am
oops charlie, your absolutely right; my bad.  i was thinking of the highland rack.    hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 9:40am
I've put a Thule Helium bike rack on the spare tire receiver and moved the spare to the toe.

Pics here: http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6622&PN=4&title=new-rp178-owner

The Bike rack is a bit pricey but is extremely light weight, holds three bikes and will fit a 1-1/4" or 2" receiver so it can be moved to the tow vehicle easily.

The tire mount I got off of Loews website. It was about $30.00

This appears to be working quite well for me.

drhalvey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 8:32am
We have a 2010 174 model and use a Harbor Freight two bike carrier on the rear.  Works great.  I carry the spare tire under the table (which stays set up as a queen bed).  We use the soft on the slide for dining and lounging.  Blessings!
Kantuckid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 12:13pm
Look on fleabay at the "spare tire holder" sold for ~$22 by a guy in IN with a store there. It mounts to the front triangle of your TT and thus frees up the rear hitch spot. Bike racks are found in many models on bicycle websites than shop price after you decide on brand. many are crap and will not protect valuable bikes plus they jiggle too much. If the TV is a truck there are many other options. I have a Trac-rac that allows removing the front bike wheels and locking the fork to the rack while the bikes sit forward in bed and allow further use of rear portion of truck bed. mostly depends on how many bikes and which tow vehicle, other than the RV design.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>