Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Dealer Reviews and Comments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFunTown Waco

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: FunTown Waco
    Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 9:06pm
We bought our 171 last year from Couch's.  Good experience, and saving $2-3k vs local dealers made the long drive a non-issue.

We were prepared to do it again with our 180 but Funtown in Waco came within $1000 of Couch's quote.  And the weather in Ohio, Indiana, etc can be a problem this time of year.  So we did our deal in Waco.  Noel Marshall was our sales rep, and was pleasant to work with.

My recommendation: If you get a price from Funtown you can live with, take it & quit while you're ahead.  Don't buy anything from them that requires a dealer install.  Their service folks are pretty clueless IMO.  For example, if the slide out (Schwintek) quits working, they didn't know what to suggest.  They didn't know the fridge has a "locked open" setting on the latch to keep mildew from forming.  They installed a slide topper for us ... but didn't follow the instructions (nor did they give us any of the paperwork, manual, etc that was included with the topper).  Oh, yes .. The Rpod trim is black, right?  So they installed what color topper?  Right, white!  That's on me as much as them, though, since I didn't catch it.

I could go on .. Service dept isn't one I'd count on but - per a lot of posts on this forum - that's not unusual.  Knowing that, it still left a sour taste in my mouth.

Would I buy from Funtown again?  Hmmm, I think I'd go back to Couch's.  Their service folks at least are knowledgeable about Pods.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
Commander203 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 9:29am
I checked FunTown last Sept. with a quote from Couch's and they only came within $2500 of Couch's price. That quote didn't include the R-Dome. They said I could purchase one for an additional $500.

Well we were headed to Huntsville, Ala. for another event during that time frame so to save the $3000, we drove on up to Couch's and bought our 179. FunTown would not negotiate very much at all with us. I'm totally satisfied with our decision to purchase from Couch's.

I figured I'd add my two cents worth.
Mike & Erin
2013 Tundra 4.6L V8 (Tow PK)
2006 Honda Goldwing GL 1800
2005 Honda VTX 1800N
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 11:54am
I got a quote from Couch's last year on a 179 then added in the cost of driving from northern California and back to get a "real" cost.

Then went to my local dealer and said this is what I can get it for. What are you going to do. Local dealer was able to come within $1,000 of my "real" cost so I bought from them.

When I need warranty work or whatever I have a local (1/2 mile from my house) dealer to deal with. I have been very happy with my choice.
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Commander203

I checked FunTown last Sept. with a quote from Couch's and they only came within $2500 of Couch's price. That quote didn't include the R-Dome. They said I could purchase one for an additional $500.  < .. snipped .. >

Guess they were more anxious to sell when I got to them.  My quote from Couch's included the dome, battery, filled c3 tank.  They got within $1,000 or so equipped the same way.

John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
Commander203 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 8:56am
There is a small mom & pop dealership in Belton where I work called Sunbelt RV. They are an authorized Forest River warranty repair facility. I haven't used them but I did go in and pay them a visit when we first bought the Pod. They seemed pretty anxious to accept warranty work by appointment. Seems like pretty nice people. When I told them I purchased an R-pod they told me they installed an electric awning on one a while back. Maybe they were trying to sell me one but the thought was interesting.

It doesn't appear that they sell a lot trailers but make their money on repairs/warranty work. I guess I'll be able to give a better report if I ever have to use them. Just thought I'd post this for anyone in the area that may need some work done and want to give them a try.
Mike & Erin
2013 Tundra 4.6L V8 (Tow PK)
2006 Honda Goldwing GL 1800
2005 Honda VTX 1800N
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 9:47am
^^^ Thanks, Mike.  Always good to have one more option.  They're only 1-1/2 hrs from us, and that's nothing.

Along the same line of thought, there's a fairly new dealership just north of Bryan: RV Source.  They sell several FR lines other than Pods but seem agreeable to working on Pods.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
 Post Reply Post Reply