Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCanyonlands N.P. Utah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canyonlands N.P. Utah
    Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 4:17pm
Should be good at least into mid October or no?  Are we talking snow?  Probably, well we've been there before putting up with the white stuff in Michigan, Ontario, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Montana.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
ltroeller View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 5:40pm
My husband and I stayed at Canyonland last October. We checked out the park in the afternoon the day prior to our arrival. We got to the park at 9AM and waited for a spot to be vacated. It is a beautiful campground. It was worth the wait.
knockabout View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 8:39pm
If you don't mind a bit of a drive from Moab--about an hour or just less depending on how you drive,  try Green River State Park in Green River.  Nice shade trees off the river, clean with excellent showers, fire pits etc.  I prefer it over the commercial stack'em up campgrounds in Moab.  Can't remember the name of the resturaunt but try a MOAB Burrito (Mother of All Burritos), it's right on mainstreet.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 8:53pm
Thank you all for your advice and helpfulness.  I am writing these all down and checking them out on the map.  This is what we so enjoy about this forum.  People helping/assisting people ! Thumbs UpHug
God's pod
'11 model 177
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 4:49pm
I know this  is an old post, but I just found it.  We spent several nights in a BLM campground about 5 miles outside of Moab on River Road. There were 2 camping areas there right on the river.  They had large spaces, tables, fire pits and pit toilets but no water or power.  there is a large spring (Matrimony Spring) right at the edge of Moab  that all of the outfitters use for their trips. It is good water and easily available. Ask a local-everyone knows about it. It was a quick drive to Arches and not too far from Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 7:35pm
Thanks Vann.  BTW what is a BLM campground?  Sounds really good, we usually like campgrounds that are more rustic (no electricity, no power) like what the national parks provide (or don't provide).  Will check this out on google maps.
God's pod
'11 model 177
dr.becky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 12:20am
We live in Park City and have been down in the area 3 times in the last month, Freemont, the Wedge and goblin valley.  Canyon Lands is the south end of the San Rafeal Swell, a huge amazing area.  Burea of Land Management areas you can do dispersed camping .  Google this for more info on BLM and National forest service camping. This is our preference.  We have a state park pass for access to water and dumps, then dry camp in the surrounding area.  Much easier and quieter then camp grounds.  How ever we do like the Freemont Indian state park with full hook ups.   Nat Goe maps of the area are good.  Fall or spring is the time to be there.  Hauling over the passes after November 1 could be an issue.  

Let me know if you have other questions.
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 7:37am
BLM campgrounds are managed by the Bureau of Land Management. The actual name of the campground was Big Bend-there was another one very close, but i can't remember the name.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
dr.becky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 9:42am
We stop at BLM and NFS offices in the area and ask them where to camp depending on what we are doing, usually hiking.  The Price BLM office was very helpful.  We have had enough bad experiences in camp grounds we like a little more space between us.  It can be hard to get reservation, but mostly we plan a week before for the weekend, depending on weather.  
When I figure out how to post pictures I will of last weekend.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12