R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed179 dinette table size

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 179 dinette table size
    Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 7:40pm
Okay. Thanks. How thick is it without the base?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 8:17pm
Just found this thread and ironically just yesterday mentioned to my husband that not having a table makes a real difference regarding roominess. Interesting to read what others have done! We will live with the table for now. Would like to get firmer foam for the two end seats.
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 9:23pm
What I did was to take the foam from the mattress that came with the table and use layers of that to replace the softer foam. The more rigid foam from the mattress provides better support. I used the old foam to trace the shape and then cut out the layers. I put them in a plastic bag and then used our vacuum cleaner to suck the air out and collapse the layers down. Then I put the bag with the collapsed cushions into the fabric and released the vacuum, letting the cushions expand. While not perfect, they are so much better than the original cushion foam.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Rodpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by TheBum

An IKEA futon makes a world of difference in comfort. No matter how many pillows we tried to use, we could never get comfortable with the factory cushions. The futon also makes setting up and tearing down the bed a piece of cake. We opted for the shorter, less expensive one and added storage on the ends. My wife can sleep quite comfortably on it while I take the bed.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20262901/

It was only something like $87 when we bought ours. We also ditched the factory table for one of these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-20-x-40-Table-Black/54571383

It's a good size and folds very compactly to get it out of the way when just lounging.

I'd love to see a picture of this on the inside of your Pod. 

This could be a huge improvement to the comfort of the existing couch. Does the back interfere with the window blind? 
2016 R-Pod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 9:27am

They call it a sleeper sofa, but it's really a futon. It has the spring latch at two positions (upright and reclining) as well as flat. We've found that it's much easier to raise up the seat to change the position than pull on the back. The metal base is unused when putting the futon in the Pod.

That reminds me of a sofa my parents had when we were young. One could raise the seat and pull the back flat, then release the seat and it would go flat to match. Raising the seat would engage a catch and then the back could be tilted up again with the seat ending up flat. There was storage underneath the seat, small but enough for a blanket and pillows. This Ikea sleeper sofa sounds like it uses a similar mechanism.

How does it work with the seat bases? Since the bottom of the slide-out is a little higher, do you have something you put on the seat bases so that the futon will lie flat? How is it to maneuver into place as you change the positions? Does it ride well, or does it have a tendency to shift?

So many questions, I know. I also wonder if the current cushion material would be sufficient to make a cover so that it would match the interior design we currently have. The bright blue shown in the picture just would not go well.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 11:13am
Originally posted by StephenH

They call it a sleeper sofa, but it's really a futon. It has the spring latch at two positions (upright and reclining) as well as flat. We've found that it's much easier to raise up the seat to change the position than pull on the back. The metal base is unused when putting the futon in the Pod.

That reminds me of a sofa my parents had when we were young. One could raise the seat and pull the back flat, then release the seat and it would go flat to match. Raising the seat would engage a catch and then the back could be tilted up again with the seat ending up flat. There was storage underneath the seat, small but enough for a blanket and pillows. This Ikea sleeper sofa sounds like it uses a similar mechanism.

How does it work with the seat bases? Since the bottom of the slide-out is a little higher, do you have something you put on the seat bases so that the futon will lie flat? How is it to maneuver into place as you change the positions? Does it ride well, or does it have a tendency to shift?

So many questions, I know. I also wonder if the current cushion material would be sufficient to make a cover so that it would match the interior design we currently have. The bright blue shown in the picture just would not go well.

I would consider the Ikea sofa to be a jackknife sofa.  We bought the gray one (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50307936/), which is longer than the blue and fills the space perfectly.  We tossed the metal frame and just set it right on top of the slide out.  We placed two legs on the frame, one in the center and one on the end closest to the bed.  We also put a small "riser" on the kitchen end so it can be supported by the top of the ottoman.  We made a wooden topper for the ottoman.  We also put a small chain and latch on the bottom of the frame to secure the sofa to a new trim piece underneath the sofa during transport.  To protect the gizmos on the bottom of the shades, we put a chair rail behind the back of the sofa.  I am able to store all the bedding, including the pillow in the ottoman by the kitchen, after removing the filler and just tacking tyvek over the mechanical stuff.  I removed the ottoman by the bed and the table when I bought the unit.

The sofa is a little high for my 5'2" height, but hubby has no problems at all.

The sofa folds out into a normal twin sized bed.  A fitted twin sheet fits it perfectly, so you can make it any color that you can find in a colored fitted sheet.  

No pictures, because I just stored it for it's winter nap.
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 12:04pm
Thanks for the additional info.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 12:20pm
I'd guess the seat on our blue one is about 8" thick. The back is higher than the factory cushions and covers the lower part of the window, but it's easy enough to just lower the shade to the top of the sofa back. We leave it in the upright configuration when traveling and have no issues with it shifting.

We have some decorative boxes with hinged lids as "end tables" in the gaps on the ends. The boxes are not permanently affixed (we hold them in place with Velcro), so we can use them for supports when the sofa is flat. We will be adding a center leg; the sofa overhangs the inside edge of the slideout enough that there's room for the leg with the sofa upright.

My wife took some photos and posted them on Facebook. I'll try to remember to grab them when I get a chance (I can't access FB from work).
Swann View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 5:57pm
When you removed the ottoman by the bed have you had any issues with the slideout?  Is it unbalanced at all when you move it in or out with the ottoman on one side and not the other?  Thanks and have a great day.
MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Swann

When you removed the ottoman by the bed have you had any issues with the slideout?  Is it unbalanced at all when you move it in or out with the ottoman on one side and not the other?  Thanks and have a great day.

None.  It is not integrated into the side in anyway, just screwed into the floor with two screws.  Dozens of us have removed one, both, or 1 1/2 of the ottomans.

Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>