R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed179 dinette table size

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 179 dinette table size
    Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 1:17am
Thanks StephenH now I know what the 2 angle cross bars were used for!! 
Rhona & John
POD: 2015 179 'OzPod'
Tow: 2014 Holden Colorado

Swann View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 5:26pm
Hello, Hope all is good with you.  When took the ends out and made it a couch have you had any problems with the slide out.  I have a 179 and am wanting to take the ends off but wonder if the ends help support the slide out when it is in?  I do know that sometimes they have trouble with the slide motors not staying balanced when coming in and out so I wondered what you thought about just taking one end off?  Thanks for any information.  Any problems with the slide since you removed the ends?  What do you think about taking just one slide out?  Thanks and have a great day.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 7:54pm
As far as I can see, the slide-out does not rest on the two ends. There is not much room though, so there is no access to the compartments while the slide-out is in. That could be remedied by adding a door though.

As for taking off the ends, you could easily do so with the one close to the bed. The other end next to the refrigerator contains too much to simply remove. You would need to find a way to cover the wiring that would then be exposed. I don't see there being a great deal of benefit to removing the one next to the refrigerator.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Swann View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 8:57am
Thanks.  Do you think that by taking just the one by the bed out that it may get the slide out of balance when it in going in and out?  Have a great day.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 9:47am
I don't think so. Since the seats do not perform a support function, they are not affecting the slide one way or another. Removing the one by the bed should not affect the performance of the slide.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
rkleim View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 10:11am
re. Rpod 179  (2016 ½) I'm just wondering if anyone has spoken with FR about this? I really hate the dinette and would rip it all out if I could. Dinettes are one of the things many people seem to hate in modern RVs, I don't know why they force them on us. A double recliner would fit there just fine and be just what we need. That dinette is horrible to sit in and relax. If I could go back and undo our decision to buy the Rpod and get an RV with a double recliner I would. And I love my RPod other than that. Either I figure out how to fix in the next year or we will be forced to look for a more comfortable RV. If you are still looking to buy, look closely at this. 
-
Richard
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with Factory Tow
2016 FR R-Pod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 2:40pm
The problem with the idea of a double recliner is that there really isn't room. If the wheel were not in the way, the slide-out could be made with a full floor to ceiling length that would allow it. However, the reason we have a dinette is that the long bench seat sits on the bottom of the slide-out which can't be lower because of the wheel. What we have is really the only viable option unless the kitchen were put there. Then there would be room to put a couple of recliners where the kitchen is currently. However, you would lose the storage. Everything is a trade-off. Some people re-do the cushions to make them more comfortable. That might be something you could try.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 2:44pm
An IKEA futon makes a world of difference in comfort. No matter how many pillows we tried to use, we could never get comfortable with the factory cushions. The futon also makes setting up and tearing down the bed a piece of cake. We opted for the shorter, less expensive one and added storage on the ends. My wife can sleep quite comfortably on it while I take the bed.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20262901/

It was only something like $87 when we bought ours. We also ditched the factory table for one of these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-20-x-40-Table-Black/54571383

It's a good size and folds very compactly to get it out of the way when just lounging.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 5:11pm
I tried going to the Ikea link, but it takes me to a Balkarp Sleeper Sofa, not a futon. My wife and I were looking at the tables, but she wants to stick with the one we have. She says that it is better for her sewing machine because it is more stable than the folding one would be.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 5:39pm
They call it a sleeper sofa, but it's really a futon. It has the spring latch at two positions (upright and reclining) as well as flat. We've found that it's much easier to raise up the seat to change the position than pull on the back. The metal base is unused when putting the futon in the Pod.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>