R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed179 dinette table size

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 179 dinette table size
    Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 8:15am
Absolutely loving my 179, and wondering if anyone has attempted to modify the dinette table ? I find the size is perfect when serving meals for 2, but when we are just hanging out on the U shaped couch it so fills the space available that it'is awkward to get in/out and we have to move it back and forth repeatedly. I've wondered about either putting it on small wheels with brakes, or cutting and hinging both ends so they fold down when not in use. Would appreciate hearing any experience and ideas.

Sally
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 11:24am
We packed our 179 table out the door and into the barn.  I built a pedestal table - there was a previous post here - that we can slide around, and it comes apart into three pieces and lays on the bed for travel.
the top is about 2' rectangle .  I used the pedestal that is also used in boats for fishing seats.  One just has to learn not to push on the table to get up.  Next project is a window in the door, and converting the curved cushions in to straight ones.
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 12:06pm
We also had a problem with the seating and the table shape. The seating on both ends of the table were a lot like sitting on a soft marshmallow. We decided to keep the table and replace the seating with chairs. I got the folding chairs at Costco. Smile
CozyPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 8:21pm
We have a new 2016 RP179 and have decided that the supplied dinette table stays home. For inside dining, we will use lap trays with folding legs. We also have the R-dome and will be using a 36"x36" folding leg table outside. We enjoy the extra leg room inside the 179 and the lap trays take up less room (and weight) than the supplied dinette table.
David & Suzanne
PurpleHaze View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 11:11pm
Funks, how hard was it to take off those ends?  I really like the openness it creates.
Barb
2016 R-Pod 179
2010 FJ Cruiser - Trail Teams

The mountains are calling and I must go. John Muir
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 11:22pm
I like the open space too. If you just want to see and feel what its like, just remove the two ends.  There only held down with just a couple of srews.  If you don't care for having them removed just screw them back down.  Enjoy you r-podSmile
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 11:46am
Originally posted by funks

We also had a problem with the seating and the table shape. The seating on both ends of the table were a lot like sitting on a soft marshmallow. We decided to keep the table and replace the seating with chairs. I got the folding chairs at Costco. Smile

What did you do to cover the plumbing and wiring that were below the left-hand seat? I hope you covered it. I agree that it is soft, however, I do appreciate the storage bin in the right-hand seat and the storage area I created in the left-hand seat (by boxing in the wiring/plumbing).
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 3:09pm
Stephen, you can see the box under the chair in the first photo. The box is 13" x 15" x 7" with a side extension. I cleaned up and secured some of the wires before covering. The cover is made to come off and the box is secured to the floor. I also put bead board on the wall under the bench to cover the wiring. If you notice I also changed the heater vent so it blows the heat out into the room. Good Luck and have fun with the camper Smile
Commander203 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 3:30pm
Nice clean job Funks, we just got our 179 this past September. I can't wait till the weather breaks a bit to get in it to play around.
Mike & Erin
2013 Tundra 4.6L V8 (Tow PK)
2006 Honda Goldwing GL 1800
2005 Honda VTX 1800N
Mike&Sally View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 4:31pm
Thanks for the ideas - I should have mentioned I need to keep the table and side pieces because we use that dinette area for a bed too. For those of you who are experienced carpenters - do you think that table top would cut well ? If so, would hinges that let the ends, probably about 4-5 inches on each side, fold down be strong enough to also hold the weight when the ends are in the up position and it is being used as a bed ? The problem I can see with my wheel idea is it will raise the table top up so when we lever it down to make the bed it won't be level across. 

Sure fun to think about when 9 inches of snow is being forecast for tonight !

Sally
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>