Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: National Parks On The Air
    Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by David

Originally posted by techntrek

I'll be flowing through multiple parks this summer so I'll keep my eyes open for antennas sized for those bands.

You should get your Ham license...so you could give the rest of us points!

With your background/knowledge, you could probably pass the test without even reading the questions!

I hope to "activate" a few myself - once the weather changes/camping season opens. I'd like to activate a bunch of them but, there is this money issue....

I know, I know, it is still on "the list"!  When I've taken the tests on QRZ I always get in the 90's for the Tech, I just need some more work so I can sit back-to-back for the General.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 6:18am
Originally posted by Commander203

Yep, It's going to be weird waking up on February 1st with no job. I've had one all my life, I know I'll miss the pay but there comes a time when you know it's time to move on to a new chapter in life. looking forward to the new adventure.

Anyway, I've considered running a coax cable from the TV to the Pod and just using the mobile antenna while in the POD or from a picnic table while camping. Although my wife is a HAM, I don't think she would appreciate the noise inside the POD, of course I could put her out on the picnic bench. I've thought about taking along a 30 Ft push up pole to mount an A99 on.

One thing for sure, I'll have plenty of time to think about it. By the way, nice looking radio. The FT-857D is a very good choice for portable operations. I also plan to pick up a Honda generator to power the radios among other things. We operated field day last year using a Honda 2000 watt Gen and it ran several radios with no problem. I was impressed with how quiet they are.

Guess I should probably get back to work.   

You touched on something that I have found significant. Yes it is weird/different. Having worked all my life (also) - and then one day that changes, is an adjustment (between the ears). Also, some people will get seriously snippy, mean, jealous if you tell them you are retired. I have started telling people that I "work from home".     

You'll get the radio situation sorted out. Part of the fun, for me, is figuring out how to do things. Portable is fun and adds to the camping experience, for me. You'll like the Honda genset, I think. I have the Champion and I like it in every way except - it is RF "noisy". I have to turn the radio off when charging.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 6:31am

I'll be flowing through multiple parks this summer so I'll keep my eyes open for antennas sized for those bands.

You should get your Ham license...so you could give the rest of us points!

With your background/knowledge, you could probably pass the test without even reading the questions!

I hope to "activate" a few myself - once the weather changes/camping season opens. I'd like to activate a bunch of them but, there is this money issue....

I know, I know, it is still on "the list"!  When I've taken the tests on QRZ I always get in the 90's for the Tech, I just need some more work so I can sit back-to-back for the General.

There you go...that would be the way to go. The Tech ticket is fine and a good start but, General opens up a whole different world of possibilities.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 10:24pm
Yeah, I'd like to have access to all bands from the start...
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 9:27am
Doug,

Let me assure you getting that license is not life threatening. I'm in my 61st year of being licensed, but I started young Wink. Get with it and join us!
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 10:12am

You touched on something that I have found significant. Yes it is weird/different. Having worked all my life (also) - and then one day that changes, is an adjustment (between the ears). Also, some people will get seriously snippy, mean, jealous if you tell them you are retired. I have started telling people that I "work from home".     

I ran into a LOT of this when I retired.. but I was 37.. Now days, I guess I look old enough to be retired.. LOL
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 10:33pm
Not worried about losing my life when I sit down with the bubble form and pencil.  Unless I trip and I land on the pencil.

Those that are jealous didn't make the right life choices so they could retire, or retire early.  All those that were blowing all their money on beer in their 20's instead of putting something in the retirement account.  They are just angry at themselves.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 4:44am
Originally posted by CharlieM

Doug,Let me assure you getting that license is not life threatening. I'm in my 61st year of being licensed, but I started young Wink. Get with it and join us!

You are making me feel like a young puppy! I will have been licensed 25 years on 04-02-16. I can still remember the warm glow of the Drake "C" twins.......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12