Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winnebago 1780 - copying the original
    Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Florida

Furball,,nope not a dealer. We've owned two Rpods in the past and now own a 2nd home. The last time we checked we live in the USA and can express our opinions freely.

You never answered why forest river copied the Aliner Aframe as that is the same scenario as an rpod and a Winnebago drop. Competition is good. Prices fall and makes manufacturers work harder to keep their customers. That is America For peters sake. I don't think we live in North Korea after all.

Florida..

I am sorry. If you are going to continue to be rude and can't even get my name right.. not much we can talk about. (But I am pretty sure that wasn't an accident.. now was it?)

I DIDN'T say you were a dealer. I said the guy from STE WORKS at an RV sales place. I know, I have met him. Heck, I've camped with him. His site, focus and openness all changed when he went to work "in the industry".

Didn't for minute say you couldn't or shouldn't express your opinion. But since you apparently don't own a pod now, I will have to just guess at why you continue to remain in the community, just to talk bad about the pod...

I have been inside the a-liner, and the FR version, they are not screw for screw, nor letter for letter the same. In fact I have been inside several different A-Frame style campers. We thought hard about buying one.

And, since it's America, the fact that A-Liner didn't choose to sue, has no bearing on what OTHER manufacturers may choose to do, or not do.

When I was in school, we defined "competition" as "building a better mousetrap".. not running down to the hardware store, getting a box of Victor's finest, and then just making copies, and calling them "Torvic".

A ten spot still says that very soon, we will learn of the end of the Drop. They will languish on lots just like the MPG.. still some "new" 2011 MPG's out there.. saw one on RVT just last week while researching our next TT.

Have a nice day.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 7:03am

Furball,,nope not a dealer. We've owned two Rpods in the past and now own a 2nd home. The last time we checked we live in the USA and can express our opinions freely.

You never answered why forest river copied the Aliner Aframe as that is the same scenario as an rpod and a Winnebago drop. Competition is good. Prices fall and makes manufacturers work harder to keep their customers. That is America For peters sake. I don't think we live in North Korea after all.

Florida -
You have been previously cautioned (11-14-15)about the manner in which you address the members of this forum:

Far from a Troll, furpod. We owned two Rpods. A 177 and a 180. Just saying conpetition is a great thing and rvs are copied left and right just like vehicles. We now tow the 180 rpod behind our prevost motorhome when the grandkids come along. The rpod is perfect for kids.

I have corrected your spelling of "furpod". Please make note of this.    

Intentionally rude remarks are not permitted in this forum.

I've given you a "time out" to consider this.

codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 1:54pm
Thanks for that well deserved action, David.

For those who have the urge to read it, here is the link to the actual civil complaint that was filed in US District court. We'll see how "frivolous" it turns out to be.  Note they are requesting a jury trial.

http://rv-pro.com/sites/default/files/features/merged_56147_-1-1453132043.pdf
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 2:18pm
This will be a very interesting suite to watch.  Although the merits of the case have yet to be decided, I did look up who is the bigger dog.  FR has 60 manufacturing plants and employs 11,000.  The gross revenue for FR shows to be $3.8 B.  That is just FR.  Seems they have very deep pockets.  Winnebago although not a slouch grossed about $980 million.  This is going to be a battle of the titans.  It seems to me that FR as the aggrieved party will ultimately win this case.  Keep an eye out on this one.  Safe Travels. 
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 2:44pm
Well stated David! furpod has always been very courteous and always very helpful to the members of this forum!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 5:03am

I think that most of us enjoy the process of free debate and exchange of ideas. It can be enlightening and thought provoking. I don't think any of us would want to discourage that, in any way. However, I also believe that most of us are committed to engaging in this in a courteous and respectful manner.

I was fortunate to come across a quote, early in life, that has kind of "stuck with me" through the years. It is often (incorrectly) credited to Voltaire:

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Cool words indeed!

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 6:53am
Thanks Leo and David.  For those of us who have had the good fortune to meet, camp with, and get to know 'furpod' and his wife, we are the better for it, two great people!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
DaveGamble View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 11:43am
Until this morning, I was convinced that the Winnie Drop was re-branded from Forest River. They are very nearly identical.

The tie-breaker between which to buy was this forum; I always try to find good peer-level support on complex products. Having learned about Winnie's duplicity (see what I did there? Smile) I'm convinced I made the right choice.

Yes, competition is good for the consumer, but IP theft is not. It stifles innovation. If FR paid for the R&D to bring a product to market, which is no small cost, then Winnie should not be able to siphon away sales. Why would FR ever bother to bring out something new if anyone can just copy it?

What Winnie did is not competition, it's theft.  In my opinion.  I'm glad I didn't reward them for it.
Dave Gamble
Grove City, OH
http://TripsAndTravails.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by DaveGamble

Until this morning, I was convinced that the Winnie Drop was re-branded from Forest River. They are very nearly identical.
The tie-breaker between which to buy was this forum; I always try to find good peer-level support on complex products. Having learned about Winnie's duplicity (see what I did there? Smile) I'm convinced I made the right choice.
Yes, competition is good for the consumer, but IP theft is not. It stifles innovation. If FR paid for the R&D to bring a product to market, which is no small cost, then Winnie should not be able to siphon away sales. Why would FR ever bother to bring out something new if anyone can just copy it?
What Winnie did is not competition, it's theft.  In my opinion.  I'm glad I didn't reward them for it.

Well said.

I'm glad you find the forum helpful. You'll find some of the nicest and smartest folks right here. If you have any questions/comments, please post at will/often. Someone will be along to help out. It's hard to say how many decades or even centuries of combined camping/RV experience is at our finger tips....a gob! Always feel free to jump in with your thoughts on posts from others, also.
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 2:59pm
Ditto!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171