Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 45>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats pulling your RPod
    Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 9:39pm
Well we had a 2002 Jeep Liberty with a 9030 Brake controller in it.  It pulled the R-pod 2 times before my wife total the jeep.  (Wife and Daughter was able to walk away) We replaced the Jeep with a 2002 Chevy TrailBlazer with a 4.2l 6-Cylinder engine and I installed a prodigy Brake controller in it.  Did not even feel the camper behind me.  The prodigy is far better than then the 9030 Brake controller and cheap to pickup at etrailer.com  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 9:50pm
Hello fellow rpoders,

Just got our rpod 171 about a week ago. I'm pulling with a Mazda 4000 pickup with a 4L engine (same as a Ranger pickup) and I must say that over 55 mph and uphill the small pickup is under considerable strain. The weight of the rpod is not an issue....I think the issue is the wind factor. The fact that the rpod is over 9 feet tall with the AC...there is a lot of drag......I'm looking to buy a bigger pickup like the Ford 150....that will do the trick I'm more than sure.

My rpod was built in April and after 2 weeks of tryouts....haven't had any issues yet.

I think quality control starts at the manufacture and continues with the dealer...

Lou

yizit View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 10:06pm
Welcome to the forum.  Be sure to post some pic's.

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2009 at 10:21am
We use a 2008 Chevy Siverado 1/2 ton 4WD extended cab, with a 5.3L V8 engine. We tow using overdrive, and don't use the transmission towing mode because according to the manual the Rpod's low weight doesn't require it. Transmission temp is normal during towing, according to the onboard computer. It can be a little tricky keeping the overdrive from kicking out sometimes while on gentle Xway upgrades, but it can usually be done if you keep a light foot on the gas. The truck seems much more "comfortable" going around 65 than 70, so that's what I usually drive. Gas mileage drops from about 17 MPG to around 11 MPG.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2009 at 6:31pm

I pulling a 172 with a Nissian 2006 frontier 4 cycler manual trans.  Drove from San Antonio to Junction Texas (which is texas hill country).  I stay about 60  which is about as fast as I wish to go.  I do down shift on steep upgrades and I don't over rev (i think thats the would) the engine I keep it between the 2 and 3 (2.5 mostly).  On the very first trip out I did hit wind, and that kept me at about 45-50. The Next time I hit wind like that I think I'll just pull over.
So far I lovin' It.
Lee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2009 at 2:43am
We have a '07 Chev Trailblazer with the 6cyl.  If it is windy out, which seems like it is always, we have problems.  Just made a trip from Iowa to Twin Cities,  the Chevy wants to down shift all the time.  And once it shifts down, it just doesn't go.  It in the Chevy shop now, but they can not find a problem with it.  I love it, but I guess if it will not pull, I will have to purchase something else.  Been looking at Ford F150 with a V8.     Anyone have any suggections on how to fix the Trailblazer?  Bill   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2009 at 9:50am
Butter Fly - What MPGs are you getting with the Nissan? Also, does your truck tailgate strike the top of the Pod tongue jack when it is lowered during travel stops?   
I towed a previous FunFinder 189 with my nephew's Toyota Tacoma V6 [4.0 automatic]. The Finder weighed about 1k more than the Pod 171. I got as high as 13.5 mpg towing from Texas to NC, it ran lower when my nephew was driving. The Tacoma towed the larger TT with no problems - plenty of power, interstate speeds, etc. Had I not already owned the Tundra V8, 4x4, longbed, I would have purchased the Tacoma for towing. My Tundra gets a high of 11.something MPGs towing the Pod. I think I could get 14+ with a Tacoma?????
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2009 at 5:55pm
I got 13.5 from San Antonio to Sonora texas.  I think i would have been better if I have not gone into fifth gear.  During the trip I called and ex-trucker and he told me the highest I should go is 4th,  Much better performance.  ( I'm a real NEWbie).  YESTERDAY AND TODAY i maintain 60 plus miles an hour even on the Hills (for those who not know I was in very hilling area.  Since it's only 4 banger I not go above 3000 (I think) rpm I think thats the right term.

On the tailgate issue, no because I have an easy rider/no sway thing on he hitch so it;s back far enough not to hit.  just have to watch the handle position

we r at carlsbad and going to see the bats..thats all for now.

Lee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 11:00am
    As a second vehicle we have a 2004 jeep liberty 2.4 4 cylinder. I see the nissan frontier with a 4 cylinder is pulling the Rpod. The horsepower is about the same 2 horsepower difference both have a 5 speed manual. The difference is the nissan has a tow rating, I believe of 3,500 lbs. and the libertys tow rating is 2,000 lbs. I have thought could the liberty  tow the Rpod, without damage to the engine or transmission. Would not be leaving Florida, very few hills and they are not big. Does anyone know, or have any thoughts if the liberty 4 cylinder could tow it.              David and Danette
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 12:39pm
Picked up my new 171 (and first trailer ever) last Thursday and took it out for the first trip on Friday until yesterday.  I am pulling it with a 2008 Montana SV6  mini van with a 3.9 and no tow package.  I had a Transmission and Rad cooler installed.  Also had weight equalizers and anti sway bar installed.  The trailer towed like a charm.  Hardly knew it was there.  Travelled 78 miles on a 4 lane highway on the way and got crappy milage 8.9 MPG due to the speed.  (110 -120 KPH)  Took 2 lane secondary roads home.  Had a great drive and got 15.9 MPG at the lower and more relaxed speeds.  (80-90 KPH)  I had a lot of fun and I am loking forward to lots of new adventures.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 45>