This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 45>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats pulling your RPod
    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 10:55am
OG, I think you meant to say "glamping."

Given the tank capacities, the cargo capacity, and the tiny fridge, it looks like you'd never go boondocking in this land yacht.  The only thing that seems to be a real advantage is the LI battery system that provides provides a considerable amount of power to run high consumption stuff like the AC.  But in the end, you still have to charge the batteries up and that means an inverter generator or a pretty hefty solar array.  If you're into mostly useless conspicuous consumption, this can be the the ideal trailer to go from RV park to RV park and have everyone look at you with envy.  

On a side note, I found a 2017 Bowlus Road Chief for sale on an RV website for $118,500.  New ones go for $225,000.  Over $100K in depreciation in 4 model years, hmmmm?, not bad I suppose.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
podwerkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote podwerkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 12:38pm
One solution for pulling a travel trailer or camping trailer with an EV is to install a large battery pack in the floor of the trailer, and provide either: drive motors for the wheels of the trailer, OR an umbilical connection to the EV so that it can siphon off power to charge itself as it cruises down the road. 

I'm gonna build all this in my backyard....one day.

Tongue 
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 3:06pm
Podwerks, take your idea on step further. By the time you get to it, you could build that battery powered RV on a autonomous Tesla Cybertruck chassis and let it drive itself from campground to campground. Then you and your passengers can tool around in a regular road ev, stopping to see the sights and never worrying about where to park the rig. When you get to your RV it will already be set up, leveled, and climate conditioned ready to go. 👍

LA, I can’t put myself in the mind of a Si Valley billionaire well enough to know what he would call using a Bowlus rig. Probably he would only use it once and revert to traveling in his non-electric fuel guzzling private jet. Why travel at 60 mph to a public campground when you can travel at 400 knots to your private island? And when you get there after burning through a couple thousand gallons of jet A you can have all your green tech there so you can feel good about saving a few gallons not running a diesel genny.

50% depreciation from list price in 4 years is pretty normal for RVs. it’s just that starting at a quarter mill makes it painful for those of us of modest net worth. Are you gonna make an offer on that Road Chief? Be sure your staff is on board nto keep that thing polished first.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 5:21pm
OG, I think the depreciation on value lightweight trailers isn't as bad as the luxury market.  I just checked prices for the same trailer in RV Trader and the asking price is over $3K more than I paid for mine and, it's a lower level "Coastal Edition."  I didn't count the added value on my trailer of the EasyStart I just put in.  

Just with the depreciation on a Bowlus one could buy 4 nice rPods that provide a similar glamping experience and when it gets dirty, just sell it and buy another.  No servants needed to polish it.  

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:30am
I think the present resale situation is probably pretty unusual due to supply/demand imbalance from Covid. I paid 10k for my 2015 179 (list price was 19.5k) in March 2018. That’s probably more typical. But that supply/demand imbalance isn’t going to hit a luxury item like the Bowlus which I expect are all made to order anyway.

In any case I certainly agree that an rpod and a backup rpod or two would make more sense for most folks than a Road Chief. But when did a luxury purchase ever have to make sense?
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 9:30am
The supply/demand situation will probably take several years to get back in sync.  The fact is that with boomers now in retirement age and remaining very active, travel trailer camping will be booming for the foreseeable future.  Add to that the supply chain and production problems caused by Covid and you have tight market conditions that will be aggravate the already high demand for trailers.  

We paid about $9,500 for our 172 and sold it for $8,000 after owning it for 4 years, less than $400 a year depreciation.  To that I had to add the cost of a new fridge and water heater, so it adds up to about $600 a year; not bad compared to the Bowlus' near 50% crash in price over the same time.  And, as I mentioned above, our Sonoma has appreciated about 20% in the same market where the Bowlus dropped precipitously.  

As for value for the buck, we're all better off buying travel trailers targeted at the common person.  But the nobility must differentiate itself or we may not realize how important they are.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 11:16am
‘Cept they don’t really care what we peasants think. They are only out to impress each other.

Was that $9500 for a new or used rpod? I’m sure every owner on the forum hopes you’re right and the used trailer prices stay high for awhile.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 12:04pm
The 172 was used; the Sonoma, new.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 12:15pm
Lostagain, you got a very good deal on your 172 on both ends, purchase and selling price!  I paid $12,000 for a brand new 177 in January 2011 and it came without A/C, microwave/convection oven, or entertainment system.  It did come with a 12v battery however and 2 Tire King (china) tires that never failed.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 12:47pm
Yah LA did well, particularly considering he’s a West Coaster and trailers typically go for more there due to shipping costs.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 45>