This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 45>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote onesojourner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats pulling your RPod
    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:11pm
We have made it from FL to the Rockies and back. We haven't had to make a payment in a decade. Reliability and longevity is #1 for this crew.

http://www.dashboard-light.com/reports/Mid-size_SUV.html

jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 9:20pm
Good for you!  Congratulations!  We made our last payment on our house in 1990 to become debt free; I was 36 at the time.  We have been out of debt ever since.  It is a freeing feeling.  Even my beloved 1994 F-150 5.0L V-8 with 322,000 miles and 31 deer kills is still faithfully running.  Watch out deer!  Now with our 2017 F-150, I drive like a little old lady, one deer on that and the truck may be toast.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 5:14am
Interesting chart. Long term reliability of mid sized SUV's. Top 3 vehicles are all Toyotas, what a shock.....LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
onesojourner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote onesojourner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 7:12am
Originally posted by jato

Good for you!  Congratulations!  We made our last payment on our house in 1990 to become debt free; I was 36 at the time.  We have been out of debt ever since.  It is a freeing feeling.  Even my beloved 1994 F-150 5.0L V-8 with 322,000 miles and 31 deer kills is still faithfully running.  Watch out deer!  Now with our 2017 F-150, I drive like a little old lady, one deer on that and the truck may be toast.

That is great about the house. In fact that is our primary goal. We are well on our way to getting it paid for but still a few more years out, during my 40th year is the goal. The rona may put a damper on that but we will see. 

Tell me more about that truck. Is that the original motor and transmission? Very impressive.
Bounder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bounder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 2:00am
I guess we're outliers as far as tow vehicles go - ours is a Mercedes GL350, the one with the diesel twin-turbo V6. When not towing it gets 27-30 highway mpg, and still manages 12-14 mpg at 70 mph with the 196 behind it.

The factory hitch is rated at 7500 lbs, and factory 7-pin wiring made installation of a Redarc brake controller fairly simple using the Tekonsha harness.
Bounder
2021 196 Hood River
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 9:02am
Sounds like a good TV.

You can’t directly compare diesel and gasoline fuel economy though. Roughly speaking, diesel contains about 15% more energy than gas, costs about 15% more, and produces about 15% more CO2 per gallon. So you can get a pretty close comparison to gas if you reduce diesel fuel economy by 15%, which is about 2 mpg towing, 4 mpg not towing.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 8:21pm
Offgrid,

That's sure a  lot of effort to run down diesel.  Diesel IS more dense than gasoline, but the BTU content is not significantly different, with a slight edge to gasoline.  Combustion occurs on a mass basis, so comparing BTU/lb or kg makes sense.  The attached pic is from engineeringtoolbox.com

John
'16 R-Pod 180
podwerkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote podwerkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 8:48pm
Mark Twain said it: There are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics.

The fact is, we don't buy diesel or gasoline by the pound, we buy it by the gallon, and...by the gallon, diesel has about 15% more BTU per gallon as stated by offgrid, and showing in the chart. 

Diesel can cost 15% more, or sometimes as high as 50% more per gallon depending on the pump prices in effect at the time. 

Then figure in higher maintenance cost for the diesel engine over its life, and DEF, etc, the differences are not that significant for light trucks and commuter cars.

Certainly, the higher power that turbo diesels produce IS a huge advantage when pulling trailers.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 9:01pm
That chart is slightly misleading. We fill our tanks by the gallon or liter, not by the pound. Therefore, it makes sense to calculate the energy per gallon or liter, not per pound. The chart is best interpreted then by looking at the right hand column. Gasoline has 114761 Btu/gal and Diesel has 129306 Btu/gal.That means that Diesel fuel has 112.68% more energy per gallon than gasoline or put the other way, gasoline has only 88.75% of the energy of Diesel per gallon. What hurts gasoline also is the Ethanol blends. The figure I saw stated that 10% ethanol blends have only slightly over 96% of the BTU value of straight gasoline. That makes the difference between Gasohol and Diesel even larger.

This Gasoline Gallon Equivalent Table provides a pretty good picture of these relative values.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by onesojourner

Tell me more about that truck. Is that the original motor and transmission? Very impressive.

Yes indeed, original motor and transmission.  With the engine I did change out the distributor cap every other year and the plugs every third year.  Use synthetic oil and change at every 10,000 miles.  On the tranny side it had to have a new clutch and throw out bearing (yes, a stick shift) at 268,000 miles, not too bad for a work truck.  The most amazing thing is that after killing 31 deer (all in the front end of the truck) the only 2 times it sustained damage was once when I was sitting still watching about 30 deer cross in front of me 40 yards away, this deer came out of the cornfield and coldcocked me right behind the driver door, had only owned the truck for 2 days, put a hefty dent in the side of the truck and the crazy deer left with only a lump on her head.   Unfortunately there was no insurance on the truck yet so I lived with that dent for 21 years.  Second time was in the winter when a snowshoe rabbit jumped in front of me and took out the front grill and my radiator.  Hmmm, that rabbit kill cost more to fix than 31 deer kills together - go figure.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 45>