This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 45>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Richand Cindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats pulling your RPod
    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 8:02am
We have a diesel and love it.  Adding DEF is about the same as having to add windshield washer fluid.  You rarely need to do it.  Its nice not having to stop for gas as often as we did with the Jeep.  We bought it as a leftover so the price was much lower and probably not more than a gas truck.  But if you buy it for saving money at a $5000 premium the break even point is many many years away so not a good idea if you buy a new vehicle every five years.  Diesels today are very quiet and I cannot smell any fumes.  They are not your parents diesels.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Ginch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ginch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 7:38pm
We have a 2016 Nissan Frontier Pro-4 6 cylinder, replaces an 2005 4 Runner 6 both with factory tow pkgs.
Jeepinator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jeepinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 9:51am
RPod 179 pulled with 18 Wrangler JKU, 6 speed manual and 3.73 gears. 1st gear could be a bit smaller but love the TV overall. 
2018 Jeep Wrangler Willys
2017 179
TarHeelPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TarHeelPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 9:30am

We are pulling with 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU on our 2018 R-Pod 179. I installed a class 2 Curt hitch, and also a weight distribution ball hitch (Anti-sway). With the new 8 speed transmission, pulls like a dream. You don't even know you are pulling it.

If you notice, both the hitch and the trailer are at same height, which means no pull on the transmission, and it doesn't "V" much (if any) in the back.

2018 Jeep Wrangler, 2018 RPod 179 in Carolina Blue
valrenter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote valrenter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 6:23pm
I pulled with a Honda Odyssey mini van, and I soo happy with it!!

That minivan pulled the pod through the winds of Texas, then I unhitched the pod and threw tents in the back and it took us all the way into the infamous Chaco Canyon for 3 glorious days, then on to Mesa Verde, then into the Rockies!! (up to Montrose, over and through Gunnison), through the Sand Dunes, then over and under the Ozark hills on many-a-gravel road, and finally through the lonely dirt roads of Kansas farmland.

There was not a SINGLE problem.
Jeepinator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jeepinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 9:17pm
Sweet Jeep!  Is that the Equalizer hitch?  That is what I purchased and it made a huge difference.

You do know about the extra weight it puts on the axle though?  

One day I’d love to have a JKU Diesel.

2018 Jeep Wrangler Willys
2017 179

Post Options Post Options   Quote TarHeelPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 5:03am
Yeah I know the rakes the weight off the hitch and distributes onto the axle.

Is there something else I should know?
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 5:49am
Are you sure you got a class II receiver not a class III?  Class II's have a 1 1/4 inch receiver and  aren't rated for weight distribution.  I'm pretty sure you have a class III with a 2 inch receiver because the wdh's are 2 inch. 

The wdh moves load from the tow vehicle rear axle onto both the front axle and the trailer axle. The main concern is to get the tension right so your front axle (which gets unloaded when you attach the trailer) loaded back up to what it was without the trailer. You can do that by measuring from the ground to a couple pieces of masking tape on the front fenders above the axle. 

It's also good to end up with the trailer level when your hitch is connected and tensioned.  That way you don't have to unhitch to have a level trailer for a short overnight stay and you're less likely to have rear clearance problems. it my be just the photo but in your case it looks like your hitch is set a little high for the trailer. 

Here's a towing calculator you can put all your weights and dimensions in if you're interested in learning more about what the hitch is doing and where your axle loads are relative to your vehicle specs. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Post Options Post Options   Quote TarHeelPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 6:19am
Yes sir its a class 3 for sure. I didnt experience any issue and the new axles in the JL and the 8 speed transmission pulled like a beast!
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 7:29am
Originally posted by TarHeelPod

Yes sir its a class 3 for sure. I didnt experience any issue and the new axles in the JL and the 8 speed transmission pulled like a beast!

That's good. 

Towing safety is much more about weight capacity and balance than about torque and power and you do have a fairly light tow vehicle for a fairly heavy trailer. A lot depends on how your load the two vehicles.  So its entirely up to you but I'd suggest you weigh your rig as you normally load it for travel (axle by axle) and put all the numbers in the towing calculator.

That will tell you where you're at compared to your max ratings. The first time I did that on my rig (I have the same trailer) I was surprised how high some of the numbers were, especially the tongue weight. 

Your local waste transfer station is a good place to get your weights, I'm over in Dare Co and they're very accommodating when I want to run my rig through their scales. You can run through with the tow vehicle first and get both axle weights,  and then the whole rig, getting all three axle weights, without the wdh tensioned. The increase in total tow vehicle weight (both axles) will be your tongue weight. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 45>