This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 45>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ToolmanJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats pulling your RPod
    Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by silva75

I tow with a 2008 Tundra, 5.7L V8.  I was averaging 10mpg.  I have BFG KO2's on my truck, I typically do my daily driving at 38psi.  Question: When towing, are you supposed to inflate the tires to compensate for the weight of the trailer? If so what do you suggest I inflate to when towing an rpod 179 and do you only inflate the rear tires or all four?  

On my SUV, I add 5 psi all around when towing. It's what's recommended in my owners manual for my SUV. Don't exceed the maximum recommended pressure on the sidewall. Ever. Normal for my fronts is 33 and rears is 39 . I bump 5 psi all around when towing.

On the R-Pod, or any trailer, tow at the maximum pressure indicated on the trailer tires to reduce heat from flex.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
bikeella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bikeella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 8:52pm
I tow with a 2001 GMC Yukon V8 5.3
My gas milage from Iowa to CO with the trailer was around 10.5 mpg. I think that it normally is 14-15 mpg.
I was wondering about the tire inflation as well. Traveling from a higher elevation to lower, i think it lost tire pressure. 
Dirt Road Warrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dirt Road Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 9:44pm
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with max tow, weight distributing and anti-sway hitch. A little slow coming north out of Phoenix and the transmission can't seem to decide what's the correct gear. If I shift it myself it works better but sometimes I worry about it.
Dirt Road Warrior
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited or
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2017 Rpod 179 Hood River
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Dirt Road Warrior

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with max tow, weight distributing and anti-sway hitch. A little slow coming north out of Phoenix and the transmission can't seem to decide what's the correct gear. If I shift it myself it works better but sometimes I worry about it.

Does your Wrangler have a tow/haul mode or Sport mode for the transmission? If not, does it have a button to turn off overdrive? Depending on what you have, using tow/haul mode or sport mode or turning off overdrive will be beneficial.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Dirt Road Warrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dirt Road Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 8:10pm
Thanks Stephen H for the response. The answer is no to all your questions. No tow/haul or sport mode, and no way to turn off overdrive. Its a "manumatic" so I can shift it up or down through all five gears and it will stay in the gear I select.
Dirt Road Warrior
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited or
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2017 Rpod 179 Hood River
rawest50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rawest50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 9:46am
Originally posted by capringl

Here's my set-up getting ready to leave the dealer...what a great day!Star2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited....rated to pull 3500lbs....so far so good!!

Pulling with a 2017 Jeep Unlimited with tow package and sway/load control. Pulls like a charm. It is like the Pod is not attached running at 65 mph. Wind and 18 wheeler only make it move a little. Handles hills but your gas mileage will drop off substantially.

I ask the service manager where I bought my Jeep about the 3,500 lbs rating. He said yes that is the rating but I could pull more but would not elaborate on a number. With the way it drives today 500 lbs more and I would really notice. I don't plan on doing that.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
Jmack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 1:54pm
We are pulling our 2017, 171 R Pod with our 2016 SR5 Toyota tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 with tow pkg. Toyota says we are rated for 10,500 lbs. rating. so far so good. Oh and a equalizer hitch.  
Live your life and saver every second of it.
devro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote devro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 7:55am
A Je*p doesn't have a strong enough frame to tow more than 3500lbs.  Also the Dana 35 axles will not carry the weight.  You will end up with cracks in the frame, worn axle bearings and possible explosion of the differential gears.
Better be easy on that thing.

JIM
devro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote devro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 8:14am
Just got mine, a 178.  I have a F-150 which I'm sure will tow it with very little problem, haven't hooked it up to the Ford yet to try out.
My main tow truck will be a 2013 Toyota FJC with a 4.0L V-6.
The Toyota is rated for a 5000lbs tow.  The 178 should be weighing in @ 3200lbs loaded.
I use a tow bar/leveling/anti-sway set up and nothing seems to upset the trailer/tow truck but very bumpy roads.  I get nearly zero sway or bounce on regular roads.
The truck has a 4 inch lift and I need to lift the POD to match, the drop on the tow truck receiver is pretty extreme.
Truck has an AirLift air bag system on the rear axle so I can lift the rear of the truck to level the truck.
Gas mileage drops from about 15mpg to 9mpg when towing.
Truck has a 5 speed auto trany and it pretty much stays in 4th gear all the time, shifting to 3rd and running high rpm on hills, pretty annoying but nothing to be done about that.
I run BFG Mud Terrain tires and bump the tire pressure up to 40psi on highways and down to about 30 on dirt/gravel trails.
The kayaks make some pretty good wind noise, nothing to be done about that either :-{

JIM
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 8:45am
I found that when I tow in "toy-hauler" mode with kayaks on top, I actually get perceptibly better fuel milage. Still sucks, but better.

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 45>