R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedgenerator inverter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: generator inverter
    Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 6:55pm
If I'm out boondocking, what can I run/not run with a straight generator, without the inverter?  Mainly, I'm thinking about the AC.  But what about things like counter top appliances?  What about a hairdryer?  What happens if you try your microwave?  I would charge my kindle/tablet ect. from the car, but just wondered about plugging anything into the outlets in the pod.

But push come to shove, I mostly want the AC
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 7:36pm
Howdy, well there are basically 2 popular choices...a pair of 2000w Honda generators or One 3000w. Another popular choice in the Yamaha 2400w, all of which have built in inverters aka "inverter generators." Non-inverter generators (contractor grade) run at a constant 3600 rpm and are very loud and generally not used in most camping situations. If you have 100 acres out in the middle of no-where, someplace like Terlingua Ranch, Texas, you may be able to get away with running such a device, but will still probably not make any friends. As far as what you can run (aka load) at any given time, that would depend on many variables, but you should be able to do it all, just not all at the same time. Power draw, even on shore power, needs to be managed to some degree. In other words, if your batteries were very low on charge and you throw on the Electric Hot Water Heater, AC to max and then pop some popcorn all at the same time, you are going to have a problem. It's not rocket science, but...having a general understanding of what your POD is drawing at any given time can be helpful. Especially on generator power. 

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 7:55pm
It's hard to tell if anything is going to have an issue with the slightly to mostly bad power of a generator. There is also the problem of non-inverter gennies being 240, so you have all the load on one leg of the circuit, this can damage the generator bearings if the load is big enough, long enough. Steady state gennies also use WAY more fuel then the inverter style. But the only real answer we can give is, "try if so inclined, and see how it works.."
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by furpod

It's hard to tell if anything is going to have an issue with the slightly to mostly bad power of a generator. There is also the problem of non-inverter gennies being 240, so you have all the load on one leg of the circuit, this can damage the generator bearings if the load is big enough, long enough. Steady state gennies also use WAY more fuel then the inverter style. But the only real answer we can give is, "try if so inclined, and see how it works.."

Have yu put a scope on the output from traditional generators?  Mine is a fine sine wave and at 60 cycles/second.  Power generation for years was done quite well before inverter  generators came on the scene.  And mine is one of many that are 30 amo 120 volt designed for RV use.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

Originally posted by furpod

Have yu put a scope on the output from traditional generators?  Mine is a fine sine wave and at 60 cycles/second.  Power generation for years was done quite well before inverter  generators came on the scene.  And mine is one of many that are 30 amo 120 volt designed for RV use.

A long time ago, in life far from this one, I was on the test bed team for the M1A1 APU systems.. I have scoped a lot of gennies. And back when your 30A 120v gennie was built, RV's didn't have 10 circuit boards of their own, plus whatever the owner plugged in and hooked up etc.

It's OK, everybody has a different experience level, and tolerance. AND, as much as we would like it to be so, no two generator/equipment combos is the same. My a/c WILL run on a single 2000i, most won't. In fact the genny I tested with isn't mine, and the guy who owns it, it won't start his, same model a/c.
 Post Reply Post Reply