R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedelectric issue?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: electric issue?
    Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 9:12pm
Hi all!

So I'm basically a newbie here, had the 176t for about 9 months now.  I seem to be having a problem with the electrical system.  The control panel lights up for about 1/4 second then the indicator lights go dead when I push the buttons.  Also, when I push the water pump switch, there is no sound and no pumping... what is up!?

I really hope someone out there has some advice for me, I need to finish winterizing this thing soonCry.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 9:31pm
Sounds like the typical dead battery. Is the camper plugged in to commercial power? What control panel are you refering to? Do the ceiling lights or fan work?
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
lowryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 10:22pm
I'm plugged into my house outlet, and the lights work and the clocks on the microwave and stereo.  I haven't checked the fans.  By control panel, I mean the spot where it shows you with 4 lights how full your tanks are, and your battery too.  It lights up for a fraction of a second when I check how much power I have, and then goes out.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 8:27am
The clock on the micro runs on 120VAC and only indicates the Pod is plugged in. The ceiling lights, fans, and the monitor panel run on 12VDC and will indicate the health of the 12V system. If the lights and fan run well with all of them on there may be a loose connection at the monitor panel or where it hooks to the power panel. Check the voltage right at the battery with a digital voltmeter. If you don't have a digital voltmeter you should. They are really cheap. The water pump runs on 12V, but won't come on until you use water, and then only if you're not connected to city water.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 10:16am
99% answer is blown fuse. Go in the fuse box, right side is 12v, left side is 120v. See if the fuse for "MP", or any fuse, is blown.

The water pump will only come on IF it needs to build pressure. Are you connected to city water? have you opened a tap?

lowryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 3:19pm
I kind of did a brief and vague description of the problem for a few reasons.  I was working on the computer and also I sort of probably made a few goofs.  So here's the full story.

I was attempting to winterize the camper.  It was, and still is, plugged into the house via regular (15 amp?) outlet.  After I drained the water heater there was a loud noise and my son noticed some black "cloud" shoot out of it.  Yep, didn't turn off the electric switch on the outside of the heater.  I'm not sure how much if any damage was done.  The switch is off now.  I got a little gun shy and stopped the process.  I went out of town for a few days during which time it was below freezing.  When I returned it was still below freezing but for the last 3 days it has been above freezing and I did a few more steps.  I opened the low point drains.  Only a few drips came out at first but over the course of the last few warm days about 1-2 cups have drained into the bucket I set out to collect it.  (I wanted to see how much would drain out.)  I opened all the faucets.
The next day I switched 3 valves for the water heater, bypassing (I believe?!?) that unit.  I then attempted to run the water pump with the antifreeze feed hose, and that's when the electrical issues occured.  
I will check the fuse when I get home.  How do you pull them out?  I have tried before but they are in there pretty tight.  Is there a special tool?  Or do I just need to pull really hard?  I was just grabbing with my fingers.  I will also check the battery, but wouldn't all systems still run if I am plugged in to my house power?  Or does a dead battery wreck that system even with shore power?  I ran at least 3 lights at once but never turned on the fan.
Would a freeze of several days be enough to damage the water pump?  None of the lines appear to have any leaks but there might not have been enough water in them.

So, definitely a few newbie mistakes and hopefully neither the water heater nor the water pump are damaged!

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 3:30pm
The "poof and smoke" was you buying a new water heater element LOL. and Wrench. $20 at Lowes etc. Easy to change. It happens. There is only one size water heater wrench, usually hanging on and end cap in the plumbing area.. Something like This..

When not winterized AND plugged in, just put a small ceramic heater in the pod.. it will keep it above freezing. Actually it will keep it quite toasty. We have camped down to 20F or colder, 1500watt ceramic kept it +70F in the pod.. :)

The fuses are just 2 blade fuses, just like in your car. Pull harder. Yes they make a tool. It comes with multi fuse packs to try to justify the price of the package.. LOL

lowryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 7:26pm
Well, I purchased a new 10 amp fuse and replaced it.  (I had to use the pliers on my leatherman, they were so close together I couldn't really get a grip on any of them.)  Monitor panel now functioning normally, and water pump pumping antifreeze like nobody's business!

I still need to look into the heater element, but that sounds like no big deal.  Almost a good thing even, because now I get to learn how this stuff all works.

Thanks for the adviceThumbs Up
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 11:38pm
How else would you know how something works if you don't break it first?
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
JohnBG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 3:30pm
Worst case, you can always use propane for the water heater...
2010 R-Pod RP-171
2010 Honda Ridgeline TV
 Post Reply Post Reply