R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMods to Land Rover LR2 to pull 171

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mods to Land Rover LR2 to pull 171
    Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 4:02pm
I'm curious about what mods to make to my '08 Land Rover LR2  to get the electric brake hookup to work. Our LR2 came with a 4 prong wiring harness and we have been told that to hook up a 7 prong requires splicing and that the splicing will set off codes on the vehicle computer and freeze the vehicle.  

Our dealership says it's impossible to install an adapter to change the 4 prong to a 7 prong. If you found an adapter that works, what brand is it? 

What kind of electric brake controller do you recommend? We are looking for advice to pull an r pod 171 with our 2008 LR2. Any you can offer would be great :)
2008 Land Rover LR2 HSE
1999 Ford Expedition 4x4
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
2018 R-Pod 180
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 4:49pm
They are right about no adaptation for the trailer electric brakes from the 4 pin to a 7 pin. A 7 pin trailer connector socket must be correctly wired to function safely.

A brake controller typically has 4 wires. +12, ground, brake switch, and trailer brake signal.

The 7 pin connector for the trailer plug also has +12v, ground,trailer brakes, brake lights, running lights, turn signals (left and right). 

If you wanted to, you could make your own harness and find those wires int he rear of your vehicle for turn signals, running lights, brake lights. The ground, +12V and brake signal wire have to come from the brake controller, so it involves running long heavy duty wires from the front of the vehicle to the rear.

A good trailer shop should be able to do this in a couple hours. 

A Tekonsha P3 is very good, and works with all styles of trailer electric brakes, so you could tow bigger trailers in the future it you wanted/needed to. It's adjustable and automatically self levels.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
ScituateRPOD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 4:51pm
You can purchase a separate electric brake module. You can then purchase a install kit which will give you everything you need to install the 7 pin receptacle on the back of your vehicle. The 4 pin connector will plug into the 7 pin receptacle to operate the lights. 
Check out trailer.com. That is where I bought the module and install kit.
Good luck.

ScitFrogPod

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 4:52pm
Sorry that is   etrailer.com
ScitFrogPod

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 7:10pm
The universal kit wiring kit from etrailer.com is ETBC7
ScitFrogPod
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 7:37pm
Your dealer is correct. Modern vehicles in general, and European vehicles in particular do not take kindly to ANY modification of the electrical systems.  
GorgePod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 7:58pm
My BMW required a separate module to accommodate the trailer. AND THEN, I had to hook my computer up to the car to let someone back east take over my computer remotely and reprogram the car. There are several similarities between BMW and Land Rover. BMW owned Land Rover for a period around that time.

BTW- I chose the invisa-hitch. Best hitch I've seen. When you remove the stinger, it is totally invisible.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 10:15pm
No idea if this would work, but what about a wireless brake controller?

A bigger question is whether you'd be happy pulling even a 171 with your LR2.  The 171 has a dry weight of about 2200 pounds, which is before water, propane, I think before a battery, and of course before everything you want to throw on board.  The LR2 has a towing capacity of 3500, which sounds like it would work, but the difference between "working" and providing really satisfactory towing service can be two different things.  A lot of people recommend a 1000 pound reserve of towing capacity over what you're pulling.  You are going to be lucky to end up with half that.  Anything, including people, you have in your vehicle counts against the total weight.  Going up hills and making quick stops are likely to be stressful.

Having a brake controller that works is mandatory as a matter of safety, peace of mind and, in most states, the law.  So get that figured out if you decide to go do this anyway.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply