Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBir Sur - San Simeon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bir Sur - San Simeon
    Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 2:26pm
My wife and I drove down to Bur Sur last weekend along Highway 1. We camped at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. The site I picked had too many trees so the solar panel did not work. There were sites that would have been sunnier. Pfeiffer Big Sur is in canyon so it only gets sun part of the day. Highway 1 along the cost is narrow and has a lot of ups and downs and curves. We stayed 2 nights at Big Sur and then drove further south to Hearst San Simeon State Park to camp another night. On the way down we stopped at Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery and Hearst Castle. We had great weather with a high of 70. That’s one of the nice things about living in California is I can use my trailer all year. This morning when I checked it was 36F (2.2C) outside, but all I have do to winterize is blow out my water lines. This 4 day trip cost me about $74 per day. I spent $200 on premium gas with Costco being the cheapest at $2.50 a gallon and $4.00 a gallon at a station along the coast. Camping at Big Sur was $35 so 2 nights was $70, San Simeon was only $25 a night. Drove around 650 miles, I usually average 12.5 MPG but on this trip with all the small hills and curves on Highway 1, I got 11.4 MPG.

Highway 1, mountain on one side ocean on the other              Little Sur River

Campsite at Pfeiffer Big Sur                 Pfeiffer Beach, this is Federal Park so dogs are allowed

Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park and McWay Falls        Some of the curves were tight

Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery        Camp site at San Simeon State Park

Zebra’s left over from the Zoo Hearst had on his property, they are right off the Highway          Hearst Castle
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
Commander203 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 3:18pm
Absolutely gorgeous scenery!!
Mike & Erin
2013 Tundra 4.6L V8 (Tow PK)
2006 Honda Goldwing GL 1800
2005 Honda VTX 1800N
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 5:06pm
With the exception of way up north, the east coast is so boring.
Can't wait to retire and drive up your way Big smile
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 5:26pm
Big Sur, Monterey, Carmel, the Aquarium are truly wonders.  Tourists from the world over come to see Big Sur.  Spent many a time in Big Sur camping and enjoying the area.  Hope you stopped at Nepenthe for a drink and to watch the sun dip into the Pacific.  San Simeon is also amazing.  Hearst was not as wealthy as the Astor's or some of the other Eastern monied folks but he sure outspent them in his extravagance.  In Santa Monica he built a home for his girlfriend, Marion Davies, the actress, right on the beach.  He imported Italian craftsmen who built the Italian marble pool.  I spent many a summer at the beach at the house which had been given to the city of Santa Monica, and was a private beach club called the Sand and Sea Club.  Hope you had time to take the tour of Pebble Beach up near Monterey.  Magnificent.  It was said that Hearst's father bought 50 miles of coast from the water to the mountains, for a penny an acre in the mid 1860's.  Anyway your pics bring back many fond memories of summers spent on the coast.  Thanks for sharing. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 6:34pm
Nepenthe had a great view from their deck but we did not eat there because they would not allow dogs. We ate lunch at the Big Sur Coast Galley & Café. We had to use the scenic walk up to the restaurant because the regular way had to many steps for our old dog. You enter thru the art gallery and in the court yard you will see the regular way up the steps or follow the signs for the scenic way around back, very few steps. They even brought out a water bowl and dog treats for her
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 8:06am
Yes! West coast does offer some spectacular scenery. @ johnmaci, IMO the only way to truly experience the beauty of the east coast is by slow boat down or up the Intracoastal Waterway.

Here's a handful of pics from our adventure to the west coast:

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 11:07am
The south coast on Hwy 1 is great but the north coast from SF up to Ft Bragg is every bit as good. I drove it this last spring in my PT Cruiser with my teardrop in tow had a great time.

Sold the tear and bought an R-Pod 179 looking forward to doing the north coast with it this spring.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 4:06pm
Nice pics.  As for $4/gal gas, ouch.  We finally got just below $2 in the last week around here.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Grayotter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 12:05pm
We have a 2014 Ridgeline towing a 179 also. Have the great fortune of living in Morro Bay, the south end of Big Sur. 
I'm wondering what you use to "blow out" your water lines? Do you have an air compressor?
Gar

Love2 1der
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 12:30pm
I have a adapter I screw into the city water connection and then plug my air line from the compressor. Don't forget to turn the pressure down to 20-30 PSI. I open all the valves in the trailer and low water drains and the let it run for awhile. I put a bucket under the gray and black water valves to make sure there is nothing in the tanks and then close them. I can drain the water tank by letting the pump run till almost all the water is out
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>