Topic ClosedBir Sur - San Simeon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JandL View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bir Sur - San Simeon
    Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 2:26pm
My wife and I drove down to Bur Sur last weekend along Highway 1. We camped at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. The site I picked had too many trees so the solar panel did not work. There were sites that would have been sunnier. Pfeiffer Big Sur is in canyon so it only gets sun part of the day. Highway 1 along the cost is narrow and has a lot of ups and downs and curves. We stayed 2 nights at Big Sur and then drove further south to Hearst San Simeon State Park to camp another night. On the way down we stopped at Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery and Hearst Castle. We had great weather with a high of 70. That’s one of the nice things about living in California is I can use my trailer all year. This morning when I checked it was 36F (2.2C) outside, but all I have do to winterize is blow out my water lines. This 4 day trip cost me about $74 per day. I spent $200 on premium gas with Costco being the cheapest at $2.50 a gallon and $4.00 a gallon at a station along the coast. Camping at Big Sur was $35 so 2 nights was $70, San Simeon was only $25 a night. Drove around 650 miles, I usually average 12.5 MPG but on this trip with all the small hills and curves on Highway 1, I got 11.4 MPG.

Highway 1, mountain on one side ocean on the other              Little Sur River

Campsite at Pfeiffer Big Sur                 Pfeiffer Beach, this is Federal Park so dogs are allowed

Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park and McWay Falls        Some of the curves were tight

Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery        Camp site at San Simeon State Park

Zebra’s left over from the Zoo Hearst had on his property, they are right off the Highway          Hearst Castle
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12