R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBetter choice lug wrench

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Better choice lug wrench
    Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 12:02am
I'm sure I saw a post on this subject but I cannot find it right now.  After "spinning" the pretty chrome cover on two lug nuts (one each side) and scaring myself silly believing that I somehow stripped the nut or stud, I replaced my trusty 1/2" drive Craftsman 3/4" (12 point) socket with a 6 point impact wrench socket...one of those black ones.  Highly recommend using one of those, especially for 100 pound torque, to keep those shiny nuts looking right.  I had to carefully tap the new socket onto the covered lug nut to seat it and remove the nut.  I think I'll just replace the two ugly lug nuts with locking nuts.
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 11:57am
So...it sounds like you were actually able to get it seated into the recessed part of the wheel? It looked to me like the black kind of socket was too thick.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
TJsGPa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 2:42pm
Yup.  Worked just fine and made no undesirable contact with the wheel.  The 6 pt impact socket is a bit more than an 1/8" or so larger OD than the 12 pt.  About the same as an old fashioned lug wrench.
Grandpa Hiker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 7:32am
TJsGPa,
Thanks for the tip. I have been wondering how I was going to get off the two that I spun with my 12-point socket!
Rob & Becky
2014 Ford Explorer 3.5 SOHC V6
2015 R-179 Pod aka Piddle Pod

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!!"
Grandpa Hiker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 12:26pm
TJsGPa,
Thanks again for the tip on the 6-point socket! It worked fine to get the spun lug nuts off.  While I was at it, I replaced all of the lug nuts with higher quality chrome lug nuts from e Trailer. 
Rob & Becky
2014 Ford Explorer 3.5 SOHC V6
2015 R-179 Pod aka Piddle Pod

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!!"
Kantuckid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 3:30pm
12pt =bad for lug nuts! 
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Kantuckid

12pt =bad for lug nuts! 

Agreed!!!  6-point sockets should be used for anything that requires much torque to get on or off.  I'm not sure what the advantage of 12-pt sockets is, other than maybe going on a nut a little easier in a tight spot.  Lug nuts aren't in a tight spot and they can require a lot of torque.  That advantage rarely outweighs the likelihood of rounding off the nut or bolt.

Impact sockets, if they aren't too fat to get to the nut are fine, but shouldn't be necessary.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
JHoffman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 5:18pm
12 pt. Sockets should really only be used on 12 point nuts and bolts and the only place I've seen them used is in the aerospace industry and maybe in some marine applications.  
2016 176t Rpod the "Hoffpod"
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 7:36pm
I saw a 12V impact wrench on Harbor Freight, so I ordered it since it is on sale at an excellent price. I wanted something to remove the wheels from the R-Pod so that I could get to the hubs to grease them. I already have a torque wrench for tightening the lug nuts.

The impact wrench comes in a carrying case with 6-point sockets. Both the impact and torque wrenches use 1/2" drive, but I needed a short extension as the hub gets in the way of being able to seat the socket fully on the lug nuts. I had one that was part of a kit. It isn't an impact extension, but it is very heavy duty, and will probably be more than adequate. The impact wrench does not operate like AC or air powered ones. This one has to spin up before it makes an impact. It will then spin up again and make another impact. About 4 or 5 hits, and the lug nut spins off.

I've used the impact wrench to snug up the lug nuts and then switched to the torque wrench to finish tightening them to 100 ft. lbs. When we put it on the road again, I will check periodically to make sure the lug nuts are properly torqued. I did not do that on our first big trip and did not have problems. However, since I removed the wheels, I will check to make sure.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply