Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNEW Rpod Owners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEW Rpod Owners
    Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 6:08pm
I would at least go with a friction control bar.  That has been our SOP with our Explorer towing a 177  since 2011.  When we picked it up the dealer told us it wouldn't be necessary and for the 4 hour trip home we thought he was right.  We got it near the beginning of March 2011 and towed it home in an amazing snowstorm; there was quite a bit of snow on the roadbed.  However the first time we took it on a dry road a couple months later we found out that the tail was wagging the dog, couldn't go any faster than 40-45 w/o the trailer swaying behind us.  That was rather unnerving.  After that we got a friction bar for around 50 bucks, well worth it, no problems since, even when fighting some extremely strong crosswinds in the west and mid-west.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
LManiac7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 6:48pm
Thank you all for the advice and sharing your experiences.

Being a member of a group like this is invaluable for this very reason.

I think I will definitely get the WDH and Sway Control bar. It just makes good sense. I'll keep you posted!
grand beaver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 7:02pm
R&J.......welcome back. Love your 179 down under! New Zealand/Australia is on my bucket list of places to camp in the bush someday. I always wanted to drive some type of "expedition vehicle" to Alice Springs for fun! We are new to our 179 also but it's just one in a crowd of many out here in Oregon as we are only 40 miles from the factory in Dallas, Ore.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by LManiac7

Hello all!

Brand new R-Pod owner here. Brand new to RVing too! I will be picking up my new RPod-180 at the end of the month. Tow vehicle is Toyota 4Runner...not sure if I should purchase a sway control/weight distribution system for this vehicle/trailer combo.

Forgive my ignorance on the topic, if this is a stupid question. I am totally brand new to all of this. I welcome any and all input.

Welcome to the forum!   

A number of us like the Fastway E2 WD/sway control hitch. Do a "search" (upper right) on "Fastway" and you'll get a number of posts on it, like this:

Fastway E2

LManiac7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 3:07pm
Thank you David!
Hublerjacque View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 7:57pm
Hello all, my husband and I just got back from our first official camping trip with our 180. We have been camping for years and have had different types if campers. However we love the r pod! The dome adds so much room and was so easy to put up. We are from pennsivinna and I was wondering if there s a group for R pods on the east coast.
JHubler
gnawed View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 8:33pm
Howdy. We recently bought a used 2015 R-Pod 171. Pulling with a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Got the chance to take it out for the first time to Seneca Rocks, WV. It was a great time, the only problem was a cut hose on the black tank rinse plumbing (posted about it here). Otherwise pulling with a weight distribution hitch and a friction sway bar was a dream in the Jeep. This is our first modern camper, we used to roll around in a home made gypsy wagon that we were very proud of, but we were ready for some modern comforts.

I really appreciate all the great posts on this forum, being new to modern campers I learned a lot before picking up my camper. I've already got some great ideas on modifications from this forum, and looking forward to enjoying the R-Pod.
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Hublerjacque

Hello all, my husband and I just got back from our first official camping trip with our 180. We have been camping for years and have had different types if campers. However we love the r pod! The dome adds so much room and was so easy to put up. We are from pennsivinna and I was wondering if there s a group for R pods on the east coast.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your RP-180.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234