R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew tires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New tires
    Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 3:56pm
I just replaced my Nankang N889 Mudstar LT235/75R15 load range C tires on my 2012 177. They had a date code that said they were manufactured in 2011. This tire is still available for around $128 each. I am the second owner of this trailer and have never had a problem with them; the spare tire still has the manufacture sticker on the tread. I did not replace the spare because it has always been covered, has never been on the ground and looked to be in excellent condition. In looking for new tires my requirements were a tire made in the US or Canada and on/off road all terrain type. The ones I found were Firestone’s Destination A/T, Goodyear’s Wrangler DuraTrac and BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A. These are all on/off road load range C tires. I picked the on/off road tires because I think they are built a little more rugged than a regular tire. I had also considered the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A but they were not in stock so I ended up with the All-Terrain T/A KO2. They were $150 per tire. There are cheaper tires that are made overseas, but in reading about the tires that lost a tread the cost of replacing the fender and other damage more than offset the extra cost of the tire. I could not find any load range D in this tire size that met my requirements. I did call Michelin Tires to ask them their recommendation on trailer replacement tires. I was hoping they would say the XL-LT rated tires meet the requirements of the “Tire and Loading Information” sticker on the side of my trailer. The person I talked to would only go by what was on the tire size on sticker.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 8:20pm
More details on my tire choice for my R-Pod or why I picked a LT (Light Truck) tire instead of a ST (Special Trailer)

BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 size LT235/75R15 (size that came from the RPod factory)
$150.00 (cost more)
Max Load 1,985 lbs. at 50 psi (load Range C)
Section Width 9.3” (wider tire)
Overall Dia. 28.8” (larger diameter)
Speed Rating S (112 mph) (higher speed rating)
Tire weight 36 lbs. (7.7 lbs. heaver) I think it’s a more rugged tire

The closest ST tire that would fit my rim is size ST225/75R15
$70-$93
Max Load 2,540 lbs. at 65 psi (load range D)
Section Width 8.7”
Overall Dia. 28”
Speed Rating J (65 mph)
Tire weight 28.3 lbs.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
ipoder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 8:35am
Thank You JandL