R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnd yet another problem, batt charging.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: And yet another problem, batt charging.
    Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 5:00pm
Now I am noticing the battery doesn't seem to be charging while hooked up to shore power or while hooked up to the TV. while its not totally dead, it never shows a full charge like it used too.
While hooked up the power meter shows a full charge but hen I disconnect it shows about one or two dots. I once found the breaker tripped and that seemed to fix the problem although temporarily.

any thoughts?
Daddy, Mommy and Daughter.
BlackJack & Keno (boston Terriers)
Rpod 176T 2015
Nick:
ouR-pod
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 8:48pm
The LED meter is telling you that the converter is charging when it is plugged in, so that is good news (otherwise it isn't good for much).  But, it sounds like your battery may be dead.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 8:49pm
Pretty dynamic situation here. How long did you charge via POD charger before checking the battery? It could take several hours to bring the battery back up from a 50% state of charge. 

Also, the LED lights don't tell us much. Do you have a mult-meter that can be used to measure the battery voltage? 

Here is a link to a document that I refer to when troubleshooting a battery. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2M4imcnGBJoVl9pSnpLejlOemc/view?usp=sharing

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 8:56pm
The battery meter measures the 12v system's voltage.  Obviously, when plugged into shore power, your converter will be adding power and the reading won't reflect your trailer battery's true state.  Same thing if you're connected to your vehicle (wheither the vehicle is running or not).

For the most accurate measure, make sure that your r-pod is unplugged from shore power/your vehicle and turn off everything - all lights, the fridge, the furnace, the TV booster and so on before taking a reading.  The purists will also advise that you let the battery rest for 30 minutes... but I doubt you'll find much difference in the reading unless you've been really stressing the battery.

As a side note, a deep-cycle battery will withstand about four hard discharges before it starts to noticeably looses capacity.  Try not to let your battery level drop too far (to two blips or below) between charges, and always fully charge your battery when you get home at the end of each trip in order to get the maximum life from it.

Finally: although modern batteries are mostly very easy maintenance, make sure to check your water level every now and then (water level to the top of the plates) and top up with distilled water if required.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Outbound

The battery meter measures the 12v system's voltage.  Obviously, when plugged into shore power, your converter will be adding power and the reading won't reflect your trailer battery's true state.  Same thing if you're connected to your vehicle (wheither the vehicle is running or not).

For the most accurate measure, make sure that your r-pod is unplugged from shore power/your vehicle and turn off everything - all lights, the fridge, the furnace, the TV booster and so on before taking a reading.  The purists will also advise that you let the battery rest for 30 minutes... but I doubt you'll find much difference in the reading unless you've been really stressing the battery.

As a side note, a deep-cycle battery will withstand about four hard discharges before it starts to noticeably looses capacity.  Try not to let your battery level drop too far (to two blips or below) between charges, and always fully charge your battery when you get home at the end of each trip in order to get the maximum life from it.

Finally: although modern batteries are mostly very easy maintenance, make sure to check your water level every now and then (water level to the top of the plates) and top up with distilled water if required.

+1

From the people that I've talked to, I doubt that more than 20% check the water levels of their batteries at all.  I try to check mine every six months or so when I'm not using them much, more often when I am.

I've noticed that when a good battery maintainer is used to keep the batteries charged, less water is needed, presumably because the batteries aren't being unnecessarily overcharged.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Unclewillis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 10:48pm
OK, I am kind of expecting the battery to be dead. It never seems to fully charge or charge at all. I have it out of the camper this week on a charger. I don't have a multi meter but maybe its time to invest in one
Rpod 176T 2015
Nick:
ouR-pod
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 2:05pm
Once you get the voltmeter ($10 on Amazon), take the battery off the charger for 3 hours and then take a measurement. If it isn't around 12.7 volts then it is no good. If you do get 12.7ish volts there is a 2nd test to verify its capacity...
loudog View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 10:32pm
I'm just did a pile of electrical work on our pod after a second battery rig didn't charge all the way. First: I have a 2011, and the piece of garbage that they installed as a power converter is junk. I replaced it with a Power Max converter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F8MC440?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00) and now it's charging correctly. I was able to recondition the original battery with an external charger.

I also second the "check the water" recommendation...
Unclewillis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 2:11am
got 13.05 volts
Rpod 176T 2015
Nick:
ouR-pod
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 10:08pm
Doesn't make sense, you will only see that if it is (barely) charging.  See the colorful chart 2/3 of the way down on this page:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>