R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLoose/stripped screws

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loose/stripped screws
    Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 10:25pm
I have a new 2015 171 and have had it out a coupe times now, and each time after a trip I have to go around and tighten down various screws through the inside of the trailer. A few of them have completely stripped out so was wondering what others do to keep screws from loosening up or stripping out. I'll taking it in to the dealer to address some of the more major issues (the shower knob plastic panel screws all stripped out).  Was thinking about using a small dab of wood glue in the holes to act like a sort of lock-tite, but was wondering if there was a better way or best practice to secure the screws a little better.

Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 6:12am
A dab of wood glue is a good idea. It will wick into the week wood and harden the area. There is not a whole lot else you can do except maybe drill and dowel which is nuts. A little bit of Titebond or the like should do it. An over zealous assembler with a out of adjustment pneumatic gun seems responsible for most of the assembly on your POD. Smile
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 7:49am
Sometimes if you put a piece of a toothpick in the hole the screw will tighten up.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 8:00am
Here is a trick that I learned years ago and it works well.

Get some wooden toothpicks. The number will be determined by the size of the hole. Insert one of the toothpicks into the hole to determine how deep the hole is/how long to leave the toothpicks.

Squeeze some glue in the hole and insert the toothpicks that you broke to size (above). You really can't insert too many, as the screw will bore/thread it's way into them. However too few, and the screw will still be loose.

Let the glue dry and re-install the screw. You have effectively made the stripped out hole smaller and the screw will thread it's way into the new wood (toothpicks).
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 9:05am
Couldn't you just use drywall anchors? I don't have that issue, but I did find a few of the screws to be pretty stripped when we changed out the shower head and arm.
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
clenaghen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 12:56pm
Thanks for the feedback. Couple good ideas. I drop off the trailer at the dealer on the 2nd as I mentioned to address a couple of the bigger issues. A lot of the out-of-the-way great spots here in Idaho are reached via forest service roads and the traveling can be pretty bumpy, so I am expecting I'll be addressing things like this regularly. 
 Post Reply Post Reply