R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery Mode Capacity/coffee maker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jeeperic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Mode Capacity/coffee maker
    Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 5:12pm
Found out the hard way the plugs don't work when boondocking. Opened a Kuerig K-thing and filtered through a paper towel with hot water from the stove....Meh- it worked!
That button at the top of the remote?
That's the power button..press it.
Turn it all off.
Go outside!

'14 RPod 171
'09 Jeep Wrangler JK (mine)
'14 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (hers)
jstrenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Mountainrev

I'm not a fan of pressed coffee, and find that old school percolators make a mess (and often leave me with "chunky style" coffee).  Probably user error, but I prefer my Coleman drip coffee maker.  Works just like a home coffee maker, but you put it on the stove top.  Makes up to 12 cups. 

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000015167-Camping-Coffee-Maker/dp/B001K7IDVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442938150&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman+drip+coffee+maker

We use the Coleman automatic drip on the stove top also.  It works great!  It's a little slow, takes about 20-25 minutes to brew a pot of coffee, but tastes just like at home.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 5:44pm
There are lots of ways to make coffee without electricity while off-grid.  From percolators to french presses.  Hell, even Starbuck's instant coffee is quite good (things have changed since the old days of glass jars of Nescafe).

Personally, I use a GSI Outdoors Javadrip.  Just boil the kettle on the stove, put a #6 filter and a couple scoops of my favourite fine-grind coffee in the javadrip, and pour the boiling water into the cone.  Coffee tastes great and cleanup is very easy.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
mfeulner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 4:03pm
Thank You all very much. I appreciate this wonderful information.
Mike
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by mfeulner

I am brand new to my 179 R Pod and to this site so excuse me if I am posting this question in the wrong area. We often Dry Camp without electricity. We would like to use our Kuerig K Cup coffee Machine but am worried that it would utilize too much AMPS/Watts and blow a circuit breaker. Has anybody tried this type of electric coffee maker? Or has anybody tried a traditional drip type coffee maker in the battery mode?
Thanks for your help.
Mike 

With a large inverter (1500+ watts) connected to the Pod's batteries using 2 gauge or larger cables, you can indeed brew coffee with an electric coffee maker.  The problem is that this uses a LOT of power from your batteries, about 20% of a typical marine battery's capacity.  Using your batteries to create heat in any form is nearly always a bad idea, and this is a classic example of that.

The much better thing to do is to use a french press and heat the water on the stove top.  Alternatively, you could run the Keurig directly off of a generator (with very little else being run if it's a 2000 watt generator).
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 12:10pm
I'm not a fan of pressed coffee, and find that old school percolators make a mess (and often leave me with "chunky style" coffee).  Probably user error, but I prefer my Coleman drip coffee maker.  Works just like a home coffee maker, but you put it on the stove top.  Makes up to 12 cups. 

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000015167-Camping-Coffee-Maker/dp/B001K7IDVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442938150&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman+drip+coffee+maker
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
mfeulner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 11:26pm
Wow= Thanks so much for your advice everyone.. that is helpful!
Mike
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 11:20pm
I have a 179 and we dry camp alot and we have our keurig k cup coffee in the morning.  I charge my r-pod up for about a couple of hours each day with a 2000 honda and use a 2000 watt inverter at night for watching movies on the tv and making coffee in the morning.  Will make about four cups each morning.  The batteries will stay about half charged before I need to charge again.  We camp alot in the mountains so the heater will also run at night.  We haven't had any problems yet. Were halfway into our second year. We had a problem making coffee in the morning when we only had the generator because it was always to early for a generator or too late so I installed a inverter and that works great for the tv and coffee. 

good luck Smile 
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 11:10pm
old school ! Stove top Percolator, works great!

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 10:33pm
Is it a 12 volt coffee maker?

Remember, when you are "dry camping", you can't plug anything in the regular household plugs and expect it to work.

I would consider a French Press if your morning coffee requirement is "fresh brewed". For me, instant or coffee bags work fine while camping, but I'm not a coffee connoisseur. 

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>