R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery While Stored

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery While Stored
    Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 3:27pm
I have searched through the forum for the answer to this but haven't found a specific answer. On my previous trailer (tent trailer) I had a master switch that would turn off all power to the trailer (specifically 12v). On the R-pod I do not see a master switch to allow me to cut off battery power. I have seen some references to a battery switch on here, but I am assuming this is an after-purchase mod? Does everyone just disconnect the leads from the battery(ies) when in storage? Unless I pull the fuses for the CO detector and the entertainment system, they will continue to use power. What's the popular method for keeping the batteries installed without anything draining them? Keeping the trailer plugged in to AC power may not be an option for me as I keep my R-pod at a storage unit. 
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 3:37pm
We disconnect the battery and bring it in for the winter. Then put a trickle charge on it.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 4:18pm
You can install a master cut-off switch as a mod.  Lots of Podders do that.  Personally, I just disconnect the ground terminal when it's parked for a several days.  When it's parked for longer stretches or over the winter, I do what Leo B does above, and bring the batteries into my garage.  I put a charger on them every 6-8 weeks to maintain.
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
clenaghen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 6:07pm
Thanks. I kind of figured that was the answer but wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something not-so-obvious. 
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Mountainrev

You can install a master cut-off switch as a mod.  Lots of Podders do that.  Personally, I just disconnect the ground terminal when it's parked for a several days.  When it's parked for longer stretches or over the winter, I do what Leo B does above, and bring the batteries into my garage.  I put a charger on them every 6-8 weeks to maintain.

My preferred battery maintainer is the Battery Minder #1500. It's a very intelligent charger that's also temperature sensitive, which becomes more important if you aren't storing the batteries in a climate controlled environment. The maintenance voltage on mine will vary between 13.2 and 13.8 throughout the year as my batteries are kept in my uninsulated garage anytime we aren't Podding.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 12:21pm
I use a Schumacher 3-stage charger, which will act as a trickle charge.  But I see no reason to keep it plugged in all winter long.  I just top off every couple of months during the off-season.  Seems to work just fine.

2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Mountainrev

I use a Schumacher 3-stage charger, which will act as a trickle charge.  But I see no reason to keep it plugged in all winter long.  I just top off every couple of months during the off-season.  Seems to work just fine.

The issue is that lead acid batteries self-discharge 3-5% per month. Any time a lead acid battery isn't at 100% charge, some degree of irreparable damage is being done to the battery. Granted, it isn't huge, but for maximum longevity, keeping it at 100% all the time is the way to go.

"...lead acid must always be kept at full-charge during storage..."
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
 Post Reply Post Reply