R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you use Weight Distribution?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you use Weight Distribution?
    Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 8:08pm
Well.... we finally did it!

Scored a nice 2011 RPod 172 for $7500 Canadian. We're pretty stoked and are going to pick it up Friday and hope to get out for a camp on the week-end.

My TV is a 2015 Ford Flex with a capacity of 4500 lbs. I hadn't planned on adding sway or WD as the pod is about 1/2 of what my max towing capacity is. I figured I would see how it goes and then sort myself out from there.

I like the idea of sway... but don't think I need the WD.

What say you experience podders? The seller has a WDH for some extra cash if I want it. 

Thanks,

J
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 9:03pm
We only use our Reese hitch. Tow up and down the coast.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jburns View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 9:35pm
Thanks Leo...
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 10:02pm
I tow my 172 with a Tundra I use the Equal-i-zer with sway control, wouldn't leave home without it.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 10:16pm
It seems like the WDH vs. no WDH is like asking V8 vs. V6. Is one better than then other? Yes. Is is necessary to have one over the other? Maybe not. Depends on your TV, TT, where you tow, etc. 

I decided to just go with the sway bar, mainly because I had already sunk a chunk of change into the pod only to discover my V6 Escape wouldn't do the job so I had to buy a new TV, too. Big smile

So, just like towing with a V8, get the WDH if you can afford it. But if the cost keeps you from podding, then try just the sway first.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 10:47pm
Jburns,

The answer is yes, I use WDH and so should you. I started with an RP172 (2200# empty) and a Honda Pilot (rated 4500#). I used an E2 WDH that includes sway control. The WDH makes all the difference in ride and comfort.
Most importantly it returns full steering authority to the front axle. It greatly reduces the porpoising experienced on road dips. I now tow a Camplite 21RBS (3500# empty) with a Tacoma (rated 6400#) using the same E2 WDH. Same results. I wouldn't feel safe without it. Even those with larger full sized trucks eventually choose WDH. They may not need it , but they want it. For the small cost involved don't risk a bad or uncomfortable experience.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
mcclurey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 1:38am
I'm towing a 179 with a Kia Sorrento V6.  Rated at 3800lb capacity.  Fastway E2 WDH and Dual Sway.  It was a must have considering I'm towing with a lighter/smaller vehicle. However I've towed boats, trailers ect with larger vehicles and I'll have to say I will never tow without these components again.  I feel very safe when towing.  I never experience any fish tailing even in high winds or at 75mph.  When I change lanes the trailer is right in line with the TV.  My advise is if you can afford to purchase then I would invest in the WDH and Sway.  
Missouri Matt

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 7:55am
It's interesting how this topic comes up every month or so. The people that don't use a WHD/anti-sway say they don't have problems and the ones that do use it say "I'd never leave home without it". 
Many years ago I was towing a flatbed loaded with cabinets my partner had just made that we were delivering to a job site. While driving down the interstate, during rush hour, out of nowhere the trailer started to sway, and sway, and sway. We both started to freak out. My partner hit the breaks to try and stop the sway. We finally got the trailer under control, but that was after we lost half our load. We were VERY fortunate that no one got hurt or no cars were hit with flying cabinets. That was a lessened learned and an event I NEVER want to relive.
So... you can get along without WHD until you can't, but then it will be too late. 
And another thing. It's not just the safety aspect it REALLY makes the driving / towing experience much more comfortable and on a long trip being comfortable is nice.
Just Sayin'

jburns View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 8:29am
All great points... I'm a rookie with towing and trailering so I find it best to ask the experienced folks.

The guy I bought the trailer from has a WDH and Sway he's going to toss in for another $200. I'll grab it since that seems to be fairly economical and I can test it out on the way home.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 9:10am
Originally posted by jburns

All great points... I'm a rookie with towing and trailering so I find it best to ask the experienced folks.

The guy I bought the trailer from has a WDH and Sway he's going to toss in for another $200. I'll grab it since that seems to be fairly economical and I can test it out on the way home.

Good move. As Bobditch said, you don't need WDH until you do. But the WDH must be properly installed and adjusted or it can cause more problems than it solves. Read the book, understand it,  and carefully follow it. Going through it yourself will give you safety and confidence. I could, but won't, tell the horror story of my first experience with my dealer's installation.

While you're at it get a good brake controller. Tekonsha proportional controllers are best. My preference is the P3.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>