R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing with Explorer - Event Date: 02 Sep 2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Towing with Explorer
    Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 6:32pm
Just got back from a little camping trip to Ludington State Park in Mi. from Pinckney Mi.
Our 2014 Explorer has the towing package and I added a proportional Draw Tite brake module. The braking was very smooth. Usually we get right around 24 mpg but with the trailer we were down to 12.5 to 13.5 mpg.
As we accelerated on I96 to highway speed of 63-65 there was a small amount of sway. Stopped at the first rest area and put the spare tire (that was in car) and about 40 more pounds in the dinette area. That did the trick.
It was nice to have the Explorer to run around with in the area but I think the F150 is a better choice. My truck usually gets about 17 mpg and with the trailer about 14-15. It has the big V8 motor in it while the Explorer has the V6.
I don't think the Explorer would be a good choice in mountainous terrains. On the small hills that we encountered it was shifting back to third to stay on speed control.
In Michigan the Explorer is fine but on trips to WV or out west I will be taking the 150.
The new module is much better than the Hopkins (dial a braking number) I have in the truck, so I will be switching that one back and forth.

Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
NMJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 7:43pm
We picked up our 179 last week with our 2006 Explorer with the V8 w/towing package.  Mileage on the level was 12 mpg but went down to 10 going up some small hills.  We'll be testing it out on larger hills in the next 6 weeks, pulling it to Durango, CO (from Gallup, NM) and then to the Phoenix area after that.  I'm a little edgy on how it will go but it's our only tow vehicle and so I'll take it slow and easy.  if I had your F150 I'd take it, too.  

I've pulled a trailer half the size with an engine smaller than half the size.  A lot of it involves taking it easy and just shifting gears and watching the RPMs.  Hope this works again.
Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 8:34am
Be interested to here how the mountain part works out The V8 should help.
Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 10:59am
If you have a selector on the transmission for Tow-Haul mode, be sure to use it.  I t changes the shift points and allows the speed to drop a little on hills on cruise control without a sudden rpm surge while downshifting.
NMJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 11:24am
John in Idaho, I don't have a transmission selector but wish I did.  I can switch in and out of OD (overdrive) manually on the transmission lever and when the transmission is seeking where it should be, I help it manually.  

This transmission has had its design problems since we bought the car new.  It started with a repair in the first month and had to wait for it to get fixed while a "redesigned" part was getting produced.  So I baby the transmission and get the transmission fluid changed frequently.  

We now use this vehicle almost exclusively as a TV in hopes of making it "last".  We'll see if that's compatible with living in the Rockies mountain region and towing a 179.  

Easy does it is my towing theme.

John in NM
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 12:54pm
On our 03 Jeep, the book recommends towing with OD off.  But the problem with it is the coil springs in the back.  The 07 Dodge truck has leaf springs and is a much better TV.   Did I read somewhere that Gallup NM has more trucks/capita than any where else?
NMJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 1:33pm
Yes, trucks and 4x4 are often needed by the Navajos and Zunis because of so many unpaved roads on and near the reservation.  With heavy rains the mud is terrible.  Two days ago two women and children escaped a flowing ditch with water (arroyo) after a downpour--just a few miles outside of Gallup's city limits.  
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 1:42pm
I live down from Lake Tahoe in the High Sierra Mt. I used a 1999 ford explorer 5.0 v8 the first year as a TV.
I pulled a 179 with the overdrive OFF.  When diving up a grade I would shift down to third and stay at 3000rpm (45mph).  I think you will be fine just don't push it. Keep the overdrive OFF. Take it slow. 
Good luck happy camping. I also used a WD with sway-bar.
NMJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 3:16pm
Yes, I usually like to keep it about at 3000 rpm and will take your advice and keep the OD off.  I always watch the temperature gauge and with this vehicle it has never been even remotely near over heating.  I do have a WDH w/Swat Control.
 Post Reply Post Reply