R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRpod 180

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rpod 180
    Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 10:31am
Just spoke with Couch's regarding a new 180.  They are currently in production and all are now Hood River Editions.  They are quoting a price including the A/C and microwave for $13,810.  The separate bath is quite enticing, so we are contemplating selling our 2013 171 and upgrading.  There is a local RV show here in town in Oct. so will view one before making any final plans to purchase.  Curious how our local dealer will respond to Couch's terrific price.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
kindell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 6:03pm
thats a fantastic price Camper Bob.  We paid $23,995 (tow pkg w/sway bay, TV, A/C and microwave/convection oven,  Of course, we have sales tax here in CA.
Art & Kindell
Cooper the Super Dog
2017 Keystone Bullet 265
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1/2 ton

Former 2015 RPod 179
kindell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 6:06pm
sorry to mention our Pod is a 2015 179 with the new colors and we tow with a 2015 Nissan Frontier 6 cyl.  

Art & Kindell
Cooper the super dog

Art & Kindell
Cooper the Super Dog
2017 Keystone Bullet 265
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1/2 ton

Former 2015 RPod 179
vtwin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 2:04am
You live in the PNW, you know there's no way itll be even close to that price...
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 8:25am
If I told you what I paid for my 171, you wouldn't say that. Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 10:27am
Got an update from Couch's.  They no longer offer the HRE on units built in the midwest. 
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Florida View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 11:57am
Couchs never sold hood river editions. West cost prices are vastly different than Midwest prices.
Unclewillis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 1:04pm
I may have posted this before, but we live in Nevada and spent a long time looking for a camper. It ended up between an Rpod in California for 18,900 2014 never used or a 2015 for 14,500 brand new at Couch's RV. The one out west wouldn't budge on price.
Shipping was 2200$, so we still saved ordering and having it shipped all the way out west.
Couch's was overall a good experience but you have to really watch out when dealing with them remotely like that.

Daddy, Mommy and Daughter.
BlackJack & Keno (boston Terriers)
Rpod 176T 2015
Nick:
ouR-pod

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 10:26pm
Well here is my idea of a primer for all who are looking to purchase a new Rpod.
1.  Decide exactly what options you want by looking on line at Forest River and review the floor plans before moving to step two.  If you need to go to a dealer, do not hook up with any salesman.  Just tell them you are looking and if you have any questions, you will ask.  Narrow down exactly what you want.
2.Contact Couch's with a list of exactly what you want and ask for a quote.  They will be happy to email you one.
3. Go to your dealer of choice, and DO NOT talk to any salesman.  Ask for the Sales Manager.  Typically the Sales Manager is not on commission.  Explain to him or her that you are there to purchase an Rv today if you can agree on an acceptable price.  They usually are on salary and an override on all the sales made at the dealership.  Finally, they have more discretion on the final sale price.    Do not waste their time if you are not ready. 
4.  Explain exactly what options you want on your Pod.  If they don't have one in stock, they can order exactly what you want.  Show him or her your quotation from Couches and explain that is what you will use as a starting point in negotiations.   Since a salesman commissions is not part of the purchase price they can usually be more flexible.  
5.  Be firm when negotiating and make sure they know that are ready to walk away to another dealer, if they will not negotiate.  Remember the dealership is in business to make money, but they are loath to lose a deal if it is profitable.  The percentage of profit is what you are are negotiating.  
6.  Have a list of other dealers and mention their names as other places where you are  considering purchasing from.
7.  If Couches can make money at the quoted price that they have provided, so can your local dealer.  
8.  Make sure that anything negotiated is in writing.  
9.  Before finalizing the purchase, now is the time to ask for additional items, better, larger, battery, dual LP tanks with auto switchover, battery disconnect, etc.
10. Before taking delivery, go over every item that you ordered and make sure it is included before signing the final papers.  
My background is sales and I have successfully used these and other practices whether buying a car, boat, RV or any other large purchase, for many years.
Good luck and have fun!!
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 3:03pm
7. If Couches can make money at the quoted price that they have provided, so can your local dealer.

Couch's relies on sales volume to make their profit, where most small dealers can't do that so they may not be able to get that low. That said, the dealer I bought mine from had no problem coming within a few hundred dollars and I don't feel they are that big.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>