R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMin generator size - Event Date: 21 Aug 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Min generator size
    Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 9:55pm
What is the feeling of the bunch as to minimum size genny to run the r-pod, air conditioning included. I can't find any spec data on the AC but I think the dealer told me it's about 2000 watts startup.
Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 10:21pm
The Yamaha 2400iSCH is about the smallest that will start and run the a/c reliably. And with it, ONLY the a/c should be running, if running the a/c. 
Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 7:25am
thanks, I look at it.
Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
jstrenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 10:22am
After a lot of searching I ended up buying the Champion 3100 watt generator on Amazon for about half the cost of the Yamaha or Honda's.  I am pretty happy with it.  It powers the A/C with no problems even in the mountains at 6000 to 7000 feet.

At half the price it's hard to beat!!
Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 2:10pm
Will it run most everything with the ac on?
What are the db's.
Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 2:12pm
I picked up the Champion 2,800W generator Item #941930, also known as the 3100W, only difference is the color. When I got it they had a special price at $699 and it’s covered under Costco’s warranty
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by jstrenn

After a lot of searching I ended up buying the Champion 3100 watt generator on Amazon for about half the cost of the Yamaha or Honda's.  I am pretty happy with it.  It powers the A/C with no problems even in the mountains at 6000 to 7000 feet.
At half the price it's hard to beat!!

I have the Yamaha 2400 iSHC and love it. It's the best generator I've had any personal experience with. It's quiet and reliably runs the AC, though the fan must be running before you turn on the compressor, and there is a 1-2 second lag where the fan briefly stops when the compressor starts. If I were to buy it again, I would buy it on www.generatorsales.com and get the model with the tri-fuel kit already installed. This way, I could run it at home from natural gas during power outages.

Based on all of the feedback I've seen, I would definitely recommend the Champion 3100 watt inverter generator as a very close second to the Yamaha 2400 for running a Pod's AC. Granted, it has more power and costs less, but it doesn't have the incredible track record of Yamaha, at least not yet.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 11:43am
If your intention is to run the a/c AND the microwave oven, you'll need the starting wattage for the a/c (about 2100 watts) PLUS the microwave (1500 Watts) PLUS whatever the power converter uses during use ( ?? watts). 

Instead.   Buy the 2400 watt or more generator, and don't run the microwave and the A/C at the same time. It will do fine.

I have a Honda EU2000i, tested it will start and run the A/C, BUT not if my 2x 12V batteries are connected to the converter charging system. The converter charger tries to charge when connected to shore power if the batteries are connected. Don't try running A/C in ECO mode. Not going to happen.

I disconnect the batteries (marine disconnect switch), plug in the generator and run it for a minute, then enter the camper and turn on the A/C. The generator bogs for a couple seconds then runs full tilt, A/C functions normally. 

Fortunately, I haven't yet had to run the A/C on a camping trip for real. Just not hot enough. But I have used it to reheat a fellow tent campers pasta in my microwave. Most of my trips are 2 nights, sometimes 3. So I don't have a real need for the generator, someday I'll do a whole week without power, then I'll definitely take it with me.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
jstrenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Pilotwh

Will it run most everything with the ac on?
What are the db's.

It will run everything with the A/C on except the microwave, or the water heater on 120V (But I always use propane anyway when dry camping.

According to Champion the generator is 58db under 1/4 load from 23 feet away.  We camped next to a guy that had a Honda 3000 watt generator and we both had our generators running so I stepped away from the campsite and got in the middle of us to see if I could hear a difference.  Couldn't really tell if the Champion was any louder or not.  Was not noticeably louder anyway.  (unscientific test only)
Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 1:36pm
Lot of great info from all. Thanks.
Hey toolman where did you put the marine switch. I have boats with them but they came that way.
Probably gonna take a serious look at the Champion. Right now Costco has it for $799.
Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>