R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR Dome Ground Skirt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Grandpa Hiker View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R Dome Ground Skirt
    Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 4:27pm
Yes I have risers. I do not have the new model dome that is supposed to fit the 179. 

I got my 179 & dome the end of March. Forest River started shipping the newer design dome in April. 

If I had known about the issue with the dome I would have waited until May to order my 179.

Depending upon the slope of the campsite, the skirt can be 1-2" above the ground. So I am thinking about cutting a triangular piece of tarp & attaching it to the black bottom skirt.
Rob & Becky
2014 Ford Explorer 3.5 SOHC V6
2015 R-179 Pod aka Piddle Pod

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!!"
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 10:48am
I am assuming that you have installed risers correct? I have risers on mine and it certainly raises the skirts up some as I too attach mine to the front and back of the pod and not the sides. I on the other hand do not have a problem with the skirts not touching the ground. Higher but still touch the ground. How far off the ground are they?
Z-pod
Chuck Janet & Bogie the dog
'12 RP 177
1972 Shasta 1400
2005 Ford F-150 5.3L V8
Grandpa Hiker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 6:09pm
I don't know if I am using the right terminology, but I am talking about the black part of the dome side walls that is supposed to lay on the ground. I really like the dome & prefer to install it so that the side walls wrap over the round ends of the Pod rather than straight up and down on the side of the Pod. This allows me to have full access to the outside storage compartment & does not block the bed end window on my 179. 

However, when I install the dome this way the black ground skirts don't always touch the ground. I am thinking about cutting a plastic tarp is a triangular shape  & attaching it to the black ground skirt. This "extension" would allow the side wall ground skirt to lay on the ground & help keep skeeters out.

Has anyone else made a mod such as this? Pros or cons?
Rob & Becky
2014 Ford Explorer 3.5 SOHC V6
2015 R-179 Pod aka Piddle Pod

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply