R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery Life

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Life
    Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 6:39pm
We purchased an R Pod 171 June of 2014. It had the standard factory battery which is now toast. Doesn't that seem like a ridiculously short life for a battery? It was properly stored and maintained during the winter months.   
2014 RPod 171
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 6:43pm
There is no "standard factory battery."  R-pods are shipped w/o batteries.  Dealers supply them, so they vary from Pod to Pod.  Having said that, yes, that is ridiculous.  What brand?  Is there a date sticker on it?  Is it still under warranty?  Did you drain it completely?  Doing so can sometimes kill a battery, regardless of how you maintained it. 
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 7:03pm
X2 regarding Mountainrev.

Something is not right. There is usually a date code sticker on the battery on the top. It may be a warranty issue.

All of the RVs that I have bought in life came with "hybrid" (Marine/RV) type batteries (not true deep cycle) - usually the "Interstate" brand.

I just replaced 2 Marine/RV batteries after five years of use. My research indicated this was the typical lifespan of this type of battery - under normal use.
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 12:36am
Originally posted by David

X2 regarding Mountainrev.

Something is not right. There is usually a date code sticker on the battery on the top. It may be a warranty issue.

All of the RVs that I have bought in life came with "hybrid" (Marine/RV) type batteries (not true deep cycle) - usually the "Interstate" brand.

I just replaced 2 Marine/RV batteries after five years of use. My research indicated this was the typical lifespan of this type of battery - under normal use.

I agree that it's probably a warrantied problem. Unless the battery was left in a discharged condition for several months, it should not be remotely dead at this point. If a marine battery is cycled to 50% state-of-charge and then recharged back to 100%, you can do this about 100-150 times. It doesn't sound like you remotely came to doing that.

Are you sure that your charger is working? I always try to have a separate voltmeter clamped onto my batteries when not in use. When I'm not actively using my batteries, they're in my garage on a Battery Minder #1500 maintainer. It's only 1.5 amps, so it's not a true 'charger', but it does a fantastic job of maintaining lead acid batteries.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 12:54am
I leave my batteries on the pod during the camping season and just leave the pod plugged into my 15amp outlet. Is that OK? I will take them out for the winter.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 7:28am
Originally posted by GLBCamper

I leave my batteries on the pod during the camping season and just leave the pod plugged into my 15amp outlet. Is that OK? I will take them out for the winter.

I leave my camper plugged in 24/7 during the camping season. The WFCO converter has a built-in 3 stage charger which will deliver a float charge (once the battery(s) are fully charged) - much like a "battery maintainer" device.

During the winter, well, it depends on my mood. I may just leave them installed on the camper, with it plugged in all of the time. Or, sometimes I put them in the garage and plug them into a "battery maintainer" once per month. If memory serves, lead acid batteries self discharge about 10% per month, even with no usage.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 8:20am
GLBCamper.. If you have the ability to plug in, they will be fine.

It's near impossible to know how batteries have been treated by someone else.

One thing to note.... OK, a couple...

Winter storage is not that much different then summer use for most RV's. Anytime the pod sits, with it's battery hooked up, and not on shore power, 10-14 days, or less, and the battery is drained. Several parasitic loads on at all times, with the only way to stop them being an after market battery disconnect.

Pods don't generally come with true "deep cycle" batteries, they come with "marine/RV" batteries, which are a hybrid and not a true deep cycle.

Also the conventional wisdom is, every time a battery discharges below 50%, which on a 12v battery is 12.06 volts or so, it does much more damage than just dropping to 50%.

The same gurus say any time a battery goes "dead", it "halves" it's remaining life.. So, if you have a "4 year battery", and run it dead a couple times, which many new owners do before sorting out the storage issues of an RV, and boom, you have a 1 year or less battery.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 8:44am
Good breakdown!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 11:51am
Originally posted by David

If memory serves, lead acid batteries self discharge about 10% per month, even with no usage.

The self-discharge rate is 3-5% per month for lead acid batteries.

I like using the Battery Minder #1500 because it's temperature sensitive. This means that it adjusts the float charge's voltage depending on the temperature. When it's warm, the needed voltage drops, and vice versa. The difference between the two is not insignificant.

For instance, I keep my batteries in my garage when we're not out in the Pod. In the winter, when my garage was around 30F, the voltage rose to 13.85. In the summer, when it's 85F, the voltage drops to 13.20. Most battery chargers have their float charge set to assume a temp of 70F. If it's warmer than that, then your batteries are being slightly overcharged, and if it's colder, they're being undercharged.

Reportedly, using a temperature sensitive battery charger/maintainer can extend the life of lead acid batteries (stored outside at least) by 25-50%. That sounds a bit ambitious to me, but if it extends their life by only a year or two, it's a good investment.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
 Post Reply Post Reply