R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCheck Your Windows!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Check Your Windows!
    Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:36pm
Vann, We left RMNP the day they closed it, we were told to leave Moraine Campground.  As we went went on the mountain road the rain was intense, many cars were stopped, we crept as the rain - x on our windshield at least allowed us to travel at 20 - 25 mph.  Amazing to see plow trucks on the road pushing off boulders that had come crashing down on the road.  Some of these were 6 - 8 foot tall !  We never left the rain until we got to the extreme west end of the park and then as we came toward Denver, it started all over again.  We were extremely fortunate as we came through Denver at one point it looked like a very dark spot on the road, I was able to manuever my Explorer and pod around it, found out it was a sinkhole about 3 foot across in the middle of the expressway.  From that point we counted nearly a dozen cars with front tires blown out as a result of hitting that.  Heard on the radio about 5 minutes later to be on the lookout for that sinkhole!  What a trip.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:37pm
Extremely nice cabinetwork.  You have been blessed with an ability to do professional wood work!
God's pod
'11 model 177
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:40pm
Well I only bin doing it for 58 years.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:47pm
WOW, you started when you were 4?  That is a lot of experience under your belt.  Thanks for sharing the photos!
God's pod
'11 model 177
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 8:02pm
No I think I was two.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 9:26pm
I don't mean to hijack the thread-this is about INTENSE rain and no leaks and a reply to earlier posts by Jato and myself. specifically about the rain and floods in rocky Mountain National Park.

we were driving up to the park from Denver when it started raining. It rained all day as we arrived and set up the pod at Mary's Lake Campground.  It rained all night-intensely at times. the next day was still raining.  we decided to go hiking and sightseeing anyway-we were here and were determined to see the park.  well, we never saw anything over 9000 feet because everything  was in the clouds. and still raining. all day and all night. The third morning we decided to leave.  We derigged everything, hitched up the pod and started out.  We didn't get very far until a ranger stopped us and told us all roads were either washed out or closed. We were not able to leave. so we went back to the campground and set up everything again.  It looked like we might be there for an unknown time. so we filled up the water tank .  It was still raining.  We decided to go into Estes park and try to buy some additional groceries.  We got almost to the small town and found that there was a small river that crossed under the road.  the water was literally up to the bottom of the bridge.  We knew the water was only going to get higher because it was still raining. We got some basic groceries and returned to Mary's Lake Campground.  As we went back to the campground, we drove around a little to see what was happening.  It was unbelievable what the local rivers, creeks and even the drainage ditches were carving huge crevaces into the ground-flooding everything. We also discovered that Mary's Lake Campground was located at the base of Mary's Lake, right below the dam! If the dam broke or the lake overflowed, we were in the direct path of the water.  We were totally freaked out.
It was still raining.  We lost internet, then power. We were quite alarmed-no, we were scared, but couldn't go anywhere.
about 4 or 4:30 that afternoon the ranger came by the campground and told us that Trail Ridge Road was going to be opened by 5 pm but it would only be open for about an hour-it was to be closed again at dark.

We did the fastest tear down and hook up ever!!we got the pod secured and hitched to the truck and scrambled up the road.  as we passed the same bridge to Estes Park, we ran through about a foot of water over the bridge.  We were able to go up and over the highest road at about the slowest speed ever. As Jato said, there was no visibility, boulders everywhere, slow vehicles and RAIN. When we got to the top, there was sunshine on the western side.  We stopped and camped at Granby Lake l Forest Service campground on the flatlands west of RMNP.  That is where the photo in our signature was taken.

We were glad to be there!!We slept very well that night.

The R Pod NEVER leaked!!

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 9:51pm
Vann, another one for the record books.  The day before we left we wanted to take old Fall River Road, a one-way road up through the mountains (dirt) with numerous switchbacks, no shoulder, severe drop offs, and not a drive for the timid!  Yes, rainy, and quite foggy, which suited my wife just fine as she couldn't see the full scope of the terror of driving on that road.  Anyway there were areas of that road that were getting pretty bad, glad we had 4 wheel drive, and we had to keep going ahead, no backing up or turning around.  We were probably one of the last to drive that road before they closed that down as well. Phew.  We do some stupid things in life. I better rephrase that as "I" do some stupid things.  Hopefully next time we are there we can do it on a sunny day. Great shot at St. Mary's.  We were wondering why we didn't see you as we always go through parks looking for other pods, but we were in Moraine.
God's pod
'11 model 177
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 10:35am
So far, our record was a trip, pretty local, 3 dayer, and on Saturday, we got +6" of rain. Friday and Sunday were beautiful. No leaks in the pod. The dome did either leak a bit, or sweat, temps were in the high 40's..
dinglebobbins View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 8:22pm
Hi. we picked up our new 177 a few weeks ago. Yesterday, we were loading gear into the trailer after a few good days or rain. Low and behold: a wet mattress, and considerable wetness and de-lamination of the plywood under the mattress. A little sleuthing found that the water was coming through the seal along the bottom edge of the back window.Exclamation
Looking at the window from the outside, we can see that there is caulk along the top and sides of the window, but not the bottom. Does anyone know if that is intentional?

Thanks,

Dionne and Garret
2016 177
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
timpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 9:23pm
I don't remember how mine are, but it's common to only caulk the top and sides of windows so that water will drain out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>