R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCheck Your Windows!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gavin View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Check Your Windows!
    Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 12:44pm
Hi Tammy,
Good to hear the caulk is working for you too.
I was at Edisto SC about a month or so ago and found another leak along the seam up top, I was able to see the factory caulk had a crack in it.... If you get a chance inspect everything which has a seam, gasket etc.
Since caulking my two problems Everything seems to be just fine, even after that solid two week monsoon here in South Carolina a few weeks ago but I will keep some clear silicone latex caulk with me in the camper always.
I really like my rpod and really like the layout; I also get a lot of folks at campgrounds wanting to see the inside of the thing all the time...but these leaks are a little distressing on a new camper!
It really makes me wonder if they are throwing these things together willy-nilly at the factory with complete disregard to the end user to maximize profits.

Personally I see this kind of stuff as bad management on the part of the r-pod group of Forest River. Apparently they have a terrible management group or they treating their employees like crap, low pay, cronyism, drilling them into the ground with a heavy work load, etc etc. and moral has spiraled into the abyss.

I hope you have your leaks fixed up!
All the best!
Gavin
Tammy C. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 11:40am
Thanks for the heads up. I just checked the windows on my new 179 R-pod and only the rear window is caulked at the top and sides. None of the other windows are caulked at all. I'll head to the hardware store today for some caulk and get it caulked before any rain comes.
2016 R pod 179
2011 Volvo XC 60
Gavin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 7:51pm
We took our new Rpod 176T out for the first camping trip this weekend and on Friday it came a good rain and we found a big leak!
Water was coming in about as fast as I could tear off individual paper towels to stop it from running down the interior wall!!
It was coming in at the top of the emergency escape window....at the very center; at the top of the glass in the center was a metal bracket which let water pour in.
Another helpful camper noticed me outside on a ladder( after the rain) looking at it and asked if I had a leak and I said "yes a good one too on this new camper!"
He noticed that the vents on the refrigerator were caulked all the way around the perimeter of the vents but the windows were not caulked at all.
So I hop in the truck and drive about 30 miles away to get some clear latex caulk and a caulking gun, while trying to beat another rain storm coming in.
I caulked the top of the window and about 1/3 of the way down on each side to help shed any rain.

I also noticed all of the windows on the Rpod wasn't caulked either...yes I know there is a rubber gasket between the window and the exterior wall, but Im too @#$#@ gun shy to not caulk them too ...feeling it could be leaking too but inside the wall, unseen! We all know an unseen leak is the death of a camper but I feel I cant trust the system rpod/Forest River is using on the windows without the added assurance of some kind of leak failsafe such as caulking too!

Yes Im pretty perturbed about all of this....its a 2016 rpod and this was our first camping trip and I have lost a lot of faith in the forest river crowd!

I really don't care if forest river recommends calking the windows or not, I just want to make sure it doesn't happen again!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910